9267Re: Copyright and the theater

  • Mom IS my real name
    Jul 3, 2007
      All of the costumes in question are for ballets in the company's
      repertoire, which means they are used as frequently as annually
      (Nutcracker), and as infrequently as every four to six years. A few
      new matching pieces have to be made to fit new dancers each cycle. All
      of the costumes are in the posession of the ballet company, in a
      locked "closet" in the same facility as the rehearsal studios. Except
      for the Artistic Director and choreographers, this company is an
      entirely volunteer run non-profit and has been for 30 years. As in so
      much "little theatre" even the performers are unpaid, happy for the
      exposure and the chance to dance on stage.

      I think the whole thing is crazy. As a volunteer, I'm always just
      thrilled to see my work on stage. Why would I want to own it?! This
      person's work is beautiful. She's easy to work with and the dancers
      feel so special in the costumes we've made from her designs. I feel
      terrible that this is happening.

      Janelle
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic