7326Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Painting Vinyl

  • K Murphy
    Feb 28, 2006
      If you want to use a spray effect, call around to local shoe repair shops and ask them if they carry shoe color spray (one common brand is called "Magix.") Shoe color spray is designed specifically for use on vinyl, leather, and plastic.

      Make sure to follow all the manufacturer's instructions regarding ventilation. Most shoes have a wax or polish on them that needs to be removed first, so the directions will ask you to wipe the shoes with a product that removes it (Magix' is called "Leather Preparer" I think). If you have new vinyl goods with no coating, you can skip that step (or you can substitute acetone for the leather preparer and remove the sticky paint you've already applied -- unfortunately it will probably smear and may remove color from the surface of your material as well).

      Experiment with light dustings of various colors -- you can get great effects.

      good luck!

      Kate

      Susan Geertsen <Susig@...> wrote:
      Does anyone know how to successfully paint vinyl? I
      tried spray paint which has stayed flexible but is
      still sticky 24 hours later. I am making parts of
      some roman soldiers uniforns and need to make them out
      of vinyl for cost reasons. We have the vinyl. Any
      help would be appreciated.
      Susi Geertsen

      http://mail.yahoo.com

      Performing arts camp Performing arts schools School of performing arts Center for the performing arts Performing arts center