7107RE: [TheCostumersManifesto] working at fashion shoot

  • Jenni Dryden
    Dec 4 9:05 AM
      I work as a Costume Designer, Wardrobe Stylist and Assistant Wardrobe
      Stylist.

      Poppy – I assume this is your first commercial catalog shoot and you are
      assisting a lead Wardrobe Stylist based on the fact you say ‘assistant’ in
      your post below. If that is correct then $175 a day is about right for your
      first shoot. After you do several commercial shoots like that one your rate
      could go up to $250/day to be an Assistant. If you are the lead Wardrobe
      Stylist you can make anywhere from $300/day - $1000/day depending on the
      type of job it is. Commercials pay the most money usually, with catalog
      shoots, ad shoots, and music videos paying less.

      Did the Wardrobe Stylist hire you or did someone else on the job hire you?
      If someone else did, find out who the lead Wardrobe Stylist is and contact
      them. Most likely they will NOT expect you to bring any kind of supplies
      since they will have a “kit” containing everything from a steamer to needle
      and thread. Since you are assisting, you will most likely be tagging
      clothing for each model, then steaming the clothing for wear, assisting the
      models getting dressed and running items back and forth for the Wardrobe
      Stylist while he/she is “on-set”. You may be asked for your opinion or for
      help making accessory and shoe choices unless they have all of that already
      decided upon. As an assistant to the Wardrobe Stylist be prepared to do
      everything they ask without question. Shoots can be rather stressful and
      high pressure. Wait to ask questions about what they did or why the Stylist
      did things a certain way until the lunch or dinner break. Also, observe,
      observe, observe. It’s the best way to learn on the set of anything.

      Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. I’d be happy to
      help.
      ~Jenni