6834RE: [TheCostumersManifesto] Re: Jewels

  • Cat Devereaux
    Sep 1, 2005
      >>We haven't yet used the heat-set jewels, as we can't get them here
      and hesitate to do a mail order and find out they don't
      work.

      Well, the new ones by Swarovski have the glue issues solved... The
      entertainment industries out in LA have taken to the Swarovski by storm and
      this includes the, ah, dancers who need to laundry their stuff all the time.

      The other brands are still having issues. Berger Beads in downtown LA are
      now carrying these kind exclusively.

      >> Besides, we tend to use a lot of very heat-sensitive fabrics,
      so not sure they would accept heat-setting.

      True that would soooooooo melt things. These heat set jewels are set by the
      same type of soldering iron with changeable tips that you can use for a hot
      knife. You just order another set of tips.... don't even new a new tool.

      But, yes... would melt nylon type fabrics. Though I've seen these used on
      silks.

      Then again... this is why we do little things like have dozens of tool, and
      a couple of dozen glues... because we always want the right thing for the
      job.... we love our toys.

      -Cat-
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic