6415Re: Five hundred years of camping out

  • Tara Maginnis
    Apr 30, 2005
      Alas, I don't know myself, although I've tried to find out. It was a
      quote (by whom I've long since forgotten) that my college Late
      Antique/ Early Medieval History teacher cited to sum up the society of
      Western Europe from about 500 CE to 1000 CE when we began a class on
      that era.

      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "joetexx" <joetexx@y...>
      wrote:
      > Does anyone know the source of this description of the Dark Ages ? If
      > you possibly supply me with the name of the 'pithy scholar' mentioned
      > by Dr Maginnis I'd be very grateful!
      >

      > *Contemporary with the first part of the Eastern Empire's rule in the
      > western Mediterranean, Western Europe was going through the period
      > known as the "Dark Ages". One rather pithy scholar pretty well summed
      > up the era (400-900ce) as "five hundred years of camping out".*
      >

      > http://www.costumes.org/classes/fashiondress/byzantium.htm
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic