      From: K Murphy [mailto:costumerkate@...]
      Sent: Monday, November 01, 2004 7:06 AM
      To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [TheCostumersManifesto] To Clean or Not to Clean

      Okay, technically this is not a costuming question, but I am hoping to get
      some advice from people who know about fabric and whom I know I can trust.

      I found an older (48 stars) flag that is 3' x 5' large, and I would like to
      display it on my living room wall. But first I would like to clean it,
      because the "white" stripes appear almost brown. I think the flag is made
      of linen. The blue is very faded, and the red has turned kind of rusty, but
      the flag is still beautiful. The different colored fabrics are stitched
      together, but the colors do not appear to have "run," so I'm hoping that
      means it's colorfast. The fabric has only one small hole, and there is a
      reinforced binding I think I could safely roll around a support.

      One flag dealer I checked with advises not cleaning the flag at all, just
      "enjoying its patina." Another site I checked on advises cleaning large
      textiles in the bathtub with Neutrogina Face Wash.

      Could anyone with experience or knowledge about this kind of thing offer
      some advice?

      Thanks,

      Kate Murphy