5386Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Teaching costuming

  • C Vaerewyck
    Aug 1, 2004
      I do not teach costume construction however I took the class in college. Once we were done learning the basics our final project was of our choice. Our class spent a day at the fabric store. We each chose a pattern and had to ok with the teacher. We found everything we needed that day and spent the next few classes working on it. The last day we all had to wear and model what we made. Even the actors in the class enjoyed it because they were able to make something fashionable they could wear everyday.

      Sylvia Rognstad <sylvia@...> wrote:I have a question for those of you who teach costume construction. I
      taught it myself for 7 years and it was a constant uphill battle, as I
      had to teach mainly acting students who didn't want to be there but
      were required to. I'm considering going back into teaching after a
      long respite and am wondering how to make it a more interesting, even
      possibly, an exciting experience for the students. In my efforts to
      teach sewing to total novices, I was constantly revamping the projects
      to improve them. In my last years at the job I was having the students
      make simple Elizabethan bodices, vests and hats. My theory was that
      they would learn something about costume history at the same time they
      were learning how to sew and they would be making something they could
      possibly use, either to wear to Renaissance Faires or as rehearsal
      garments for plays. This worked quite well with the girls because
      they loved the tight low cut slightly boned bodices they could wear but
      the guys were a different story altogether. They never seemed to be
      interested in anything they made for themselves. Does anyone out there
      that teaches have any good ideas for appealing to male students? And
      if you have other ideas for simple class projects for both make and
      female students, I would love to hear them.

      Thanx!
      Sylrog

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT