1445Re: Brigadoon

  • KaBear13@aol.com
    Sep 1, 2002
      You don't really need 8 yards of material to make a kilt.  Usually, the eight yard kilts are reserved for more formal occasions and most highland men wear a 4-5 yard kilt called a "Hill Walker".  As for the sewing, I've found that the most frustrating thing about the kilt is getting those dratted pleats to stay straight while you're ironing and sewing them down.  Also, I've found a site that sells kilts for about $38 a piece. The only drawback is that they only carry two tartans.   It's www.museumreplicas.com they've got some really neat clothing and shoes.  You could also check with the Society for Creative Anachronisms site and see if they've got any simple kiltmaking turorials or some vendors who sell inexpensive kilts.  www.sca.com
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic