1444Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Re: Brigadoon

  • JANET HULL
    Sep 1, 2002
      Hi poppy
      I costumed a a play a few years back loosly based on the story of
      braveheart. I had no budget for this production. I did have loads of old
      curtains and pots of old dyes. I darkened the curtains so the patterns did
      not show too much.I then cut the into long lengths joining the lengths
      together to make about 6m. I then loosly made big pleats around the back and
      left a plain piece to the front and all that was left over swept up over the
      shoulder and pinned on with the brooch we made the brooches from old bits of
      junk jewelry glued onto stiff card or hardboard. They wore them over baggy
      shirts with a thick leather belt to hold up the kilt. The overall effect was
      good and it needed to look well worn and distressed. I hope you can find
      enough old curtains. Do not worry about it having to be tartan as a lot of
      the old kilts were plain rough wool
      Janet