1443Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Re: Brigadoon

  • Poppy Shell
    Sep 1, 2002
      Aloha, I am a theater costumer on the small island of Kauai and wrote
      recently about costuming BRIGADOON for my local high school on a very
      limited budget. My first thought is I will just whip out those kilts, no
      problem. BUT, now that I am researching their construction and how much
      fabric they take and ALL those accessories which are REALLY expensive and
      can't just be whipped out (knee high socks, can't buy those on Kauai), I'm
      beginning to doubt myself. So, I thought maybe just rent the kilt outfits,
      but as I research rentals, I see that the cost of rentals is really high,
      and we would need them for at least three weeks. I guess I need to hear
      from someone who knows what other poor high school groups do in this
      situation. I sew really well, but I usually just invent what I'm doing, and
      specialize in remaking existing clothing into great costumes. You should see
      what I just did for OKLAHOMA! I was able to turn second hand muumuus that
      were calico prints into great prairie skirts and dresses. I can follow a
      typical sewing pattern, but reading about kilt pleating was making my head
      spin. Anyways, if I need 10 kilts (minumum) and they require 8 yards of
      fabric, I'll never be able to afford to make them, but I can't afford to
      rent them either. ANY IDEAS!! Sorry if I rambled, but I am a bit worried.
      Poppy Shell