12485CSA Western Region Symposium: Interpreting History Through Costume

  • thecostumersmanifesto
    Feb 18 2:49 PM
      CSA Western Region Symposium:
      Interpreting History Through Costume

      March 17-18, 2012

      William S. Hart Ranch and Museum, Santa Clarita, California

      If the clothes make the man, what can they tell us about history? Join us for an exploration of how we can interpret history through costume at the historic ranch of one of the first Hollywood cowboys.Silent film star William S. Hart was one of the most popular stars of the silent film era and one of the most authentic. In 1926 he had a mansion built in Newhall, California, now filled with Western art, furnishings and selected costume pieces.

      The museum is surrounded by a large park that includes a herd of bison, nature trails and a gift shop. During our symposium the National History Museum of L.A. County will display pieces from its historic and performance costume collection.

      The weekend starts on Friday with a reception at the Roman Holiday Wine Lounge.

      Saturday and Sunday will feature a variety of papers on fashion, history, theater, national costume, gender issues and re-enactors. We will top off Saturday evening with a showing of William S. Hart's final film, the silent Tumbleweeds, considered to be the high point of his career.

      Reservations must be received by February 24, 2012
      • Members $ 95
      • Student Members $ 85
      • Non-Member(s) $105

      Download the registration form to sign up and get information concerning the Symposium schedule, local hotels and travel arrangements.

      for Registration Form, go to http://www.costumesocietyamerica.com/RegionV/event_workshop_sym.htm
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic