11898Re: Puffer fish costume

  • GCKidd
    Aug 15, 2010
      Foam would hold the shape better than batting. Upholstery shops sell what they call 'scrim foam', which has a light-weight fabric backing on one side (so you can stitch to it without the thread pulling through)...headliner foam (available at Hancocks, among others) also has fabric on one side. That would prevent the tubing from chafing through the foam (although, depending on how often it's going to be worn, that may not be much of a problem). She could also try reticulated open-cell foam (it's not the same foam they use for padding, it's the kind of stuff they use for air filters, water filters, and some speaker covers)...it's a more durable material (I used it once to make a Parade-Dragon head...very lightweight, very breathable, pretty durable, and it glues together well with contact cement). The place I got mine from (which I don't recall off the top of my head, I'd have to go digging around in my notes to find it) sells the stuff in 4x8 foot sheets, which go a long way. If the costume is going to be worn multiple times, I'd recommend the latter option...but you shouldn't need a muslin liner with it, you can glue it very effectively so stitching it isn't a major concern.

      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Sylvia Rognstad <sylvia@...> wrote:
      > I woman I work with is trying to make a puffer fish costume for her
      > grandson.
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic