11388Re: Stays - bone or other

  • Curtis
    Jul 3, 2009
      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "tumorfarmer" <tumorfarmer@...> wrote:
      > Someone on Sew what's up mentioned that at Home Depot (or Lowe's) you can get heavy duty plastic wire wraps for boning in making corsets and such. I thought it was an idea worth writing down!

      It was also mentioned here...a long time ago (I'm pretty sure it was two or three years ago...it was a relatively old tip when I finally got around to trying it out a year and a half ago for the first time...) I've gotten a LOT of mileage out of that suggestion (I've had to replace/install boning in bustiers several times, also used the same concept to make some stand-up collars actually stand up the way the designer wanted them to...even though the company she bought the coats from never designed them to actually stand up like that...)

      I've used the wire ties...I've also used the super-duty ties designed for hanging heating ducts (which did wonderful things for my friend's corset!) I've also used the very long, skinny ones instead of milliner's wire for a couple of projects and been pretty pleased with the results. They aren't a universal solution, by any means...but they're pretty versatile!
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic