      From: Sylvia Rognstad <sylvia@...>
      Subject: [TheCostumersManifesto] costumes and lighting
      To: thecostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Friday, September 12, 2008, 10:16 AM

      I had a very unfortunate experience last night with the lighting
      designer on the rock opera I'm costuming and would like some input from
      other costumers who are perhaps more knowledgeable than I on lights. I
      admit it's always been my weak spot. My designs have been finalized
      for weeks, fabrics purchased and work underway. Last night was the
      first run through so both I and the lighting designer were there. She
      took a look at my swatches and said a lot of them wouldn't work,
      specifically the rusts, coppers and yellow greens, of which there are
      quite a few. Now I have to buy all new fabric for several costumes.

      Obviously my question is--why can't she change her gels to make them
      work? Are these just colors that shouldn't be put on stage ever or
      what? I don't get it. Can someone enlighten me--no pun intended? In
      retrospect of course we should have had a meeting several weeks ago but
      I think both I and the director assumed she would be working with what
      I had designed but she seems to be making it sounds like those colors
      just won't work at all, period for anything at any time.

      Sylvia R