15The Coffee Book: Anatomy of an Industry from Crop to the Last Drop

  • chasquad@hotmail.com
    Jun 23, 2004
      The Coffee Book: Anatomy of an Industry from Crop to the Last Drop
      http://tinyurl.com/3dttd

      Jammed full of facts, figures, cartoons, and commentary, this book
      covers coffee from its first use in Ethiopia in the six century A.D.
      to the dramatic rise of Starbucks and other specialty retailers in
      the 1990s.

      An engaging, informative look at one of the most popular products in
      the world. Jammed full of facts, figures, cartoons, and commentary,
      The Coffee Book covers coffee from its first use in Ethiopia in the
      6th century A.D. to the dramatic rise of Starbucks and other
      specialty retailers in the 1990s. Written with verve and filled with
      little-known facts, the book explores the process of cultivation,
      harvesting, and roasting from bean to cup; surveys the social history
      of caf society from the first coffeehouses in Constantinople to
      Renaissance French cafs to beatnik havens in Berkeley and Greenwich
      Village; and tells the dramatic story of international trade and
      speculation for a product that can make or break entire national
      economies. The book also examines the industry's major players --
      General Foods, Nestl, Proctor & Gamble -- revealing how they have
      systematically reduced the quality of the bean and turned a much-
      loved product into a lifestyle. Finally, The Coffee Book considers
      the exploitation of labor and damage to the environment that mass
      cultivation causes, and explores the growing "conscious coffee"
      market and "fair trade" movement.
      Facts about the coffee industry:
      * Coffee is the second most valuable legal item of international
      trade in the world (after oil)
      * More than twenty million people around the world are employed by
      the coffee industry
      * Coffee is the largest food import to the United States

      Mr.Dicum and Ms.Luttinger have writtne a phenomenal book. From their
      obsure historical facts to their pinpointing the origin of coffee,
      6th century Ethiopia, you will be riveted to your seat as if you were
      reading a fictional novel.

      They put coffee, the coffee industry, and global coffee politics
      under a microscope and often times it fails to hold up to the
      scrutiny. No matter what your political affiliation is you can't help
      but be immediately shocked and awed and the incredible amount of
      sociopolitical machinations that go on for you to have that morning
      sip of java.

      For 11 years I have been a futures investor, broker, and author. One
      of the preferred futures contracts that I trade is coffee. This book
      has provided me with an indepth background and perspective on coffee
      that I never had before. This is now one of my reference books. For
      those that are interested in investing in coffee either actual
      grounds or in futures this book is for you and for those that can go
      a day without the original "liquid gold" you have got to read it. At
      the end of the day you will appreciate that Starbuck's "venti mocha
      grande" just a little bit more.

      http://tinyurl.com/3dttd