Copied from Yahoo Finance

  • chris50cent37
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 10, 2007
      Money
      Field Test: GPS phones for kids
      Thursday May 31, 5:17 pm ET
      By Wilson Rothman, Money Magazine contributing writer

      No. No. No. You have told your tween a thousand times. You will not
      allow him or her to have a cell phone. Your mobile bills are high
      enough without adding $200 a month to let her text her friends all
      weekend about "Shear Genius."

      (Advertisement)
      But wait. Would you reconsider if the phone not only let you speak to
      your wandering offspring at will but also told you exactly where they
      were at any moment? The power to do that is at hand. All it takes is
      the right GPS-enabled phones and the right service plan.

      Already every Disney Mobile phone is equipped to be used as a tracking
      device, as are most of the handsets offered by Verizon Wireless and
      Sprint.

      The kid-finding phones on the market today plot your child's
      whereabouts on a map on your phone's screen or on your computer,
      offering up city, street name and sometimes landmarks such as an
      airport or a mall. GPS is typically accurate to within a few yards,
      whether your kid is at the end of the block or running away to New
      York City.

      The Sprint and Verizon Wireless services require at least one phone
      capable of GPS tracking. The "kid" phone can be any of a wide range of
      handsets that have GPS. If you plan to find your kid via your phone
      instead of the Web, you'll require a more advanced handset, as it will
      need to be able to display a street map.

      Both carriers list eligible phones on their Web sites. Verizon and
      Sprint offer service for $9.99 a month.

      For another $10 a month, Verizon adds a feature called Child Zone that
      allows you to set a radius around a certain point, such as a school or
      summer camp. If the child strays beyond the perimeter, you're notified
      by text message. (To set up this feature, you have to visit a Verizon
      store and bring ID; Verizon wants to make sure you're tracking your
      own kids, not someone else's.)

      The Disney Family Locator, meanwhile, works with any two Disney
      phones. You get five free searches with any family plan, or unlimited
      searches for an extra $12.99 a month.

      Why not simply phone your child and ask where he is? As experienced
      moms and pops know, kids don't always tell the truth; GPS keeps them
      honest. Of course, a locator service won't help if your child turns
      the phone off (or if the battery goes dead), but if the kids do
      intentionally go into stealth mode, they know you'll know.

      To test the phones, we asked Carroll Hannon, an Indianapolis mom who
      denies any particular tech savvy, to give GPS phones from each of the
      three services to her oldest daughters, Beth, 15, Katie, 13, and
      Emily, 11, for two weeks.

      When Carroll wanted to know where the girls were, she could open a
      phone or a password-protected Web site to get a GPS "fix." For Sprint
      or Verizon, the child's phone displayed a message that said something
      like "You are being located," though this wasn't the case for Disney.

      The three systems worked remarkably well, with one exception. When
      Katie was supposed to be at a friend's, her Sprint phone placed her at
      a nearby mall. Carroll phoned her daughter's pal's home and learned
      that Katie was indeed there.

      The problem, according to Sprint: When the phone cannot receive a GPS
      signal, such as in basements or windowless rooms, locations have to be
      triangulated from cell-phone towers, which give far cruder readings.

      Other than that incident, Carroll liked the kid-finder phones - so
      much so, in fact, that she hated to part with them. "The peace of mind
      that comes with them is huge," she says.
    • Toby
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 10, 2007
        Hi Chris,

        Good to hear from you again.