Megadeth interview transcript

  • thebeatofisrael
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 8, 2005
      Megadeth Play Israel
      by Ben Bresky

      The third annual Metalist Festival took place on June 22, 2005 on
      Palmachim Beach near Tel Aviv and featured internationally known
      heavy metal bands Megadeth and Destruction. The other seven bands on
      the bill were from Israel and played a variety of metal genres from
      80's style glam pop to growling death metal, to gothic tinged doom
      metal with female vocalists.

      The biggest act of the evening was the multi-platinum, multi-Grammy
      Award nominated Megadeth. The American group started in the 1980's
      and released their latest album in 2004. Israel National Radio's Ben
      Bresky host of The Beat music program had the opportunity to go back
      stage and interview lead singer Dave Mustaine.

      To listen to and download the full interview, go to
      www.IsraelNationalRadio.com and click on The Beat with Ben Bresky.

      Israel National Radio: My first question is how did this all get set
      up? How did you end up coming on the Metalist festival in Israel?

      Dave Mustaine: Well, the way things happen is we have an
      international agent and he was contacted by Yuri the promoter here.
      Yuri contacted him and asked if we wanted to do this festival. I
      really wanted to play Israel for numerous reasons. My Mom was Jewish
      and I had been here a couple times, once working, once for personal
      reasons. I find the country to be fantastic, the people to be
      amazing. The turmoil that's going on in some of the hot spots in some
      of the country don't scare me. Although it is frightening to think
      that life and safety are at risk, I know that what America sees on TV
      about Israel is not reality. The rest of the country here is so
      fantastic and beautiful and the people are so loving and passionate.

      Israel National Radio: You have a song on the new album called Truth
      Be Told in which you talk about Cain and Abel and Osama bin Laden.
      That could be considered Israel oriented.

      Dave Mustaine: Well I've mentioned Israel in songs before, in Holy
      Wars. Holy wars don't necessarily have to start in Israel. It can be
      anywhere. There are so many holy wars taking place in the world right
      now anyway. People are dying for a cause. It's so unbelievable. It's
      hard enough to live as it is right now with people dying from just
      aging and disease and everything that people would randomly kill
      innocent people for a cause. You know I read something in the Turkish
      newspaper today that they had sentenced some guy that was planning on
      blowing a plane up into the national monument of the person who had
      founded the Republic of Turkey. There was supposed to have been
      literality tens of thousands of people celebrating there and this guy
      was going to crash a plane there. I'm thinking, what makes people
      think like this? I mean, people, they'll live and die for their
      causes. But to me, my life is much more easier. I love playing music.
      I love entertaining people. My whole thing is about bringing joy to
      people's life. I've been an angry man for a long time and I still get
      angry, but that's not one of the things that brings me happiness. I'm
      not happy being angry. I know that's a dichotomy, but you know what
      I'm saying.

      Israel National Radio: I was talking to some of the other groups
      here. All Israelis have to go to the army at age eighteen. And they
      were saying, before the army when they're in high school, they're
      into metal. They need that kind of music in the army. Then after they
      get out of the army they stop being metal.

      Dave Mustaine: Well one thing that I will say, I'm a very proud
      American, I love my country, and I believe that our nation in America
      could learn a lesson from your country here with mandatory military
      service. I think it instills character into the youth and although a
      lot of young people here probably don't really like having to serve,
      I think that the integrity and the character of the Israeli people is
      much more consistent then a lot of other countries because of that
      mandatory military service. I think that it's good for people. Now as
      far as getting out of the army and metal not being important anymore,
      I think that has to do with the fact that people change. But if your
      a metal fan - and really, that's the first syllable of fanatic,
      that's what the word means -- you'll be a fan whether your in the
      army, whether your out of the army, whether your a scuba diver or
      whether you pick up dog poop for a living.

      Israel National Radio: Did you have any kind of Jewish upbringing?

      Dave Mustaine: No. No I didn't. Although my Mom was Jewish, I didn't
      have any Jewish upbringing. I know a little bit about it. I'm a
      Christian. I've learned a lot about the history of the country. When
      I came here for my vacation, I got to see a lot of the country that,
      you know, goys just don't see. I mean, for me to come through here
      and be able to go in and see some of the private stuff that you can
      only see with a military pass, was fantastic for me.

      Israel National Radio: Are you familiar with any of the Christian-
      Jewish groups here in Israel?

      Dave Mustaine: No, and that's not really what I want to talk about.
      That's not for me. I don't want what my personal beliefs are to tell
      other people how to live their life or what to do. I try and set a
      really good example as a guitar player and a musician and as a
      songwriter and lyricist. I've had a really checkered past in my life.
      I enjoy being married and being a father now and my life has changed
      considerably. But as far as getting involved and being an activist
      for religion, no. I'm not interested in that.

      Israel National Radio: What are you going to play tonight? Are you
      going to play Holy Wars?

      Dave Mustaine: Well we've got two hours worth of songs to play, so if
      I listed them all off it would give away everything. But we're going
      to play stuff off just about every album. There's a couple of albums
      that we're skipping. The very first record, the songs are too fast
      and they just don't come across live very well. Risk doesn't have any
      songs that are being played off it. There are a couple records that
      have a lot of songs that are being played off it because they just
      sound good live and their fan favorites. So yeah, we'll be playing
      Holy Wars, Peace Sells But Who's Buyin', Sweating Bullets, Symphony
      of Destruction, and the rest is just going to have to be secret.

      Israel National Radio: Do you have a feel for metal in Israel?

      Dave Mustaine: No. I haven't spent a lot of time here. The last time
      I came here was as a full-on tourist so I didn't get a chance to make
      any kind of cultural discoveries other then sitting on the beach and
      sucking in the surrounding atmosphere. As far as knowing anything
      about Israeli bands, I'm sure there's some fantastic Israeli bands,
      as there are bands from any country. Right now the music industry is
      really driven and it has very little to do with music anymore. It's
      about business. So if a band's going to make it nowadays in the music
      business, they need to be very thoughtful about what they do they
      need to concentrate on songwriting. Some of the bands we've played
      with get up on stage and it's just about outrageous behavior and not
      about musicianship. That stuff doesn't fly. That will maybe be cool
      for a couple of shows but it gets boring.

      Israel National Radio: So what's up next for Megadeth? New album?
      Where else are you touring?

      Dave Mustaine: I haven't made up my mind yet what I'm going to do. We
      have made a definitive end date for Megadeth at the end of October
      and I was going to make a decision as to whether I was going to
      continue with this band or not. I am going to continue playing with
      my band mates because we get along fantastically. But the legacy of
      Megadeth and the name -- it's been used for so many years -- and
      there's been so many other people involved in it. Partially I wants a
      clean break to start over again and to continue to go forward on the
      accomplishments with the men that I'm playing with right now.
      Partially also I feel, things are going great right now so why stop
      it? So as far as what were going to do, I can tell you right now, I
      don't know. It was supposed to be the last record, the last tour,
      over. Done. Now I'm kind of wondering what I should do.

      For more information on The Beat with Ben Bresky visit

      Other links: