thinking about launching a new series

  • Bob Vardeman
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 14 9:11 AM
      I'm not one to sit and wonder.  Better to give something a try and fail than to wonder if...

      At the moment, I have several other projects brewing but bubbling up is an action/adventure series in the Baroness vein to be done entirely e-book.  I have a basic premise in mind and some characters.

      For the group:
      What elements of the Baroness series are "must have" in a new series?  Plot?  Characters? I have my own druthers but would like to see how they match with yours.  (And I am still amazed after all these years that Engel told me to specifically put in the Borzoi since "the dogs have a following.")

      Bob Vardeman

      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 14 2:16 PM
        You need her entourage, the dogs (of course), amazing martial arts feats, over the top technology and her outrageous behavior.  That's what does it for me.

        Art

[...]

        Host a free online
        conference on IM.
        Yahoo! Groups
        Share experiences
        with owners like you
        Yahoo! Groups
        Join a community
        for cat lovers
        Need to Reply?
      • ppsantos
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 16 11:23 PM
          This is GREAT news indeed! More power to you Bob and your Baroness-reloaded project!

          The "must have" Baroness elements are the heroine, her action scenes, and her vivid sex.

          1. Secret spy heroine - She is stunningly beautiful, sexy, sensual, glamorous, and very high-class with expensive/discriminating taste. Resourceful and strong-willed. All-natural, all-woman. Black hair a plus!

          2. Her action - high-octane action, good stunts, hand-to-hand combat, and martial arts. Graphic but not gory, extraordinary but not superhuman feats.

          3. Her sex - vivid, good clean straight heterosexual one-on-one. No orgies, no bi-activity, no 3some. All Baroness titles had 3 sex scenes, except B5, which only had 2 (coincidentally(?) ranked as no one's favorite, see our Polls in this group). More than 3 scenes would trivialize the escapades and make her look "cheap".

          The Baroness series was, foremost, a spy thriller/action adventure, with sex for the extra kick, not the other way around, unlike other sexpionage titles (Black Swann, Brandy French, etc).

          Other "nice-to-haves":
          - High-tech gadgetry
          - her team/support-staff - the heroine is not a one-woman do-it-all wrecking machine
          - High-powered villains whose actions would have international consequences if left unchecked.

          As for the story's plot, this is the important glue that will hold everything together. Personally, I'd like a cohesive story.

          As for animals (Borzoi's), I wouldn't mind not seeing them. Though exotic animals, maybe the villain's pet, could be interesting.

          Already looking forward to reading it. Hope it comes out soon!

          --- In TheBaroness@yahoogroups.com, Bob Vardeman <bobv451@...> wrote:

          > I'm not one to sit and wonder.  Better to give something a try and fail than to wonder if...
          >
          > At the moment, I have several other projects brewing but bubbling up is an action/adventure series in the Baroness vein to be done entirely e-book.  I have a basic premise in mind and some characters.
          >
          > For the group:
          > What elements of the Baroness series are "must have" in a new series?  Plot?  Characters? I have my own druthers but would like to see how they match with yours.  (And I am still amazed after all these years that Engel told me to specifically put in the Borzoi since "the dogs have a following.")
          >
          > Bob Vardeman

        • Steve Wrinn
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 17 12:12 PM
            The same hair, eyes, stature, etc., sound great to me.

            I always most enjoyed the fight scenes, preferably when Penelope was unarmed (and unclothed.  )  One-on-one fights were my favorites, though I recognize that might be a minority opinion.  When I was a teenager back in the 70s, I read the final fight between the Baroness and Iron Man (from #4) so many times that much of it is still burned into my memory:  "They faced each other across a patch of sand, a naked man and a naked woman."  Ah, the good old days...

            -steve

          • amain325@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 19 11:23 PM
              Hey Steve, I agree completely with your assessment. One-on-one fights between an unarmed woman and man are always the sexiest. Like you, I read a scene in the 70s so many times that it is still burned into my memory. I could write it here almost word for word (and will if anyone wants me to) but for now I will just copy my earlier post (which is how I learned that it is from Baroness #6, thanks to another reader):

              ...the Baroness is fighting a man one-handed because he threw a heavy
              object at her which struck her shoulder and made one arm go limp. She
              gets on top of him and gets her good hand around his throat. While he
              struggles with her arm, she struggles to her knees so that she is
              straddling his chest. He says he wants to talk, so she releases her
              grip, but he immediately tries to sit up and throw her off. So she
              wriggles forward and clamps his neck between her thighs. There
              follows a great description of her looking down at his head between
              her legs, her skirt tucked under his chin, his face turning dark red
              as she slowly squeezes him to death.

               I would hope any new Baroness series would include plenty of action like that. What better way to die than between the thighs of a woman like Penelope?

              Can you post the narrative of the fight
              between the Baroness and Iron Man for us? Thanks!

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 20 9:35 AM
                Well, since I'm apparently not the only one with fond memories of this scene, I'll give it in full.  It's taken straight from the text, (not from my memory), and occurs after a dune buggy chase and crash in the desert.  The Baroness's opponent is Iron Man, a huge, heavily-muscled weightlifter/bodybuilder type.  He's not the Chief Bad Guy, but rather the henchman of the evil porn movie director, Sully Flick.  Sully and Iron Man were making a getaway in buggy #1, with the Baroness in pursuit in #2.  Both dune buggies were disabled in the chase, and Sully was knocked unconscious when his crashed.  Any weapons have also been lost or rendered unavailable.  That leaves the Baroness and.Iron Man to fight it out, unarmed and alone.  Oh, yeah:  They are both completely naked, and he is glistening with mineral oil all over his body.  I could explain the reasons, but why bother: these sorts of situations are everyday occurrences in the Baroness series.

                Thirty-odd years ago the following, to my teenage mind, was the single hottest passage ever written in any language in the entire history of human civilization.  As I said, I still have fond memories of it.  And, with that confession, my flock, we will turn to today's reading, taken from The Baroness, Book 4, Chapter 17.   Enjoy.

                "Iron Man trudged toward her, an elemental figure against the sky.  Penelope switched off the ignition and climbed down into the sand to meet him.

                They faced each other across a patch of sand, a naked man and a naked woman.  At some moment in the distant past, a male and a female had contended this way and fixed the fate of the sexes forever.  The Baroness crouched as he rushed her, her eyes flashing and her breasts swinging.

                She grabbed his wrist as he swung a sledge-hammer hand toward her.  It would have torn her head off if it had connected.  She ran past him, still carrying his wrist, and wrapped his arm across his back.

                The wrist slipped out of her grasp before she could bring it all the way up.  It was the damned oil he'd rubbed over his body.

                She jumped clear before he could strike, and stood facing him again.  He gave her a smug, athlete's smile.  He was a foot taller than she was, and had a longer reach.  He could club her with those heavy hands, while she'd be unable to strike at any vital part of his anatomy.  She had to get hold of him.  And he was as slippery as an eel.

                She bent quickly and scooped up a handful of sand.  She flung it at him, then another handful and another.  The gritty particles clung to the oil.  Iron Man stared down at his body in consternation, a look of distaste on his features.

                She rammed him with her shoulder.  His abdominal muscles were rock hard.  He grunted, reaching for her.  But she was already embracing him from behind.  Her arms snaked around his barrel chest, under his shaved armpits, her hands clasping one another behind his neck in a full nelson.  Her breasts were flattened against his wood-hard back, her pelvis pressed against his buttocks.  She bore down on his vertebrae.  His powerful neck muscles tensed, keeping her from forcing his head down.  The great biceps bulged as he strained against her forearms to break her grip.  She could feel her interlocked fingers giving.

                "You ain't got a chance," he whispered hoarsely.  "I'm stronger than you.  You can't let go, and you can't hang on."

                Desperately she pressed on his neck, but the thick corded muscles kept his head upright.  As long as he didn't relax, even for a second, he was all right.  She grunted and strained, her cheek pressed against his spine, almost as if they were lovers.

                He laughed, and heaved with his shoulder muscles.  She felt her feet leave the ground.  She hung on, dangling.  Her fingers were getting slippery with perspiration.  Struggling for purchase, she wrapped both legs around his body, riding him.

                Like a man out for a stroll, he bagan walking casually toward a jagged boulder.  He was going to dash her against it, dislodge her or break her back.

                She pressed.  His neck muscles held firm.  He was paying attention.

                Her bare heel, hooked around in front of him.  encountered a dangling something the size of a large carrot.  She ran the sole of her foot along it.

                "Hey, watch that," he said.  He continued walking toward the boulder.

                She caressed it with her toes.  Was it her imagination, or was it expanding?

                "Cut it out," he said.

                She continued rubbing with her foot.  The carrot became a zucchini.  It stood out in front of him like a bowsprit.

                She kicked sideways with all her might.  He bellowed in pain.  He forgot for a split second to keep his neck muscles tense.  With a sob, she bore down with all the strength she had left.

                His neck gave a dry snap.  The big head with its mane of yellow hair dangled at an impossible angle.  He pitched forward into the sand, carrying the Baroness with him.

                She got up, covered with sand and mineral oil.  Iron Man's muscles had suddenly lost their tone and become flaccid.  It was one of the first things you noticed in a corpse.

                -Steve

                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 25 12:45 PM

                  It dawns on me that the stories of "The Baroness" were very memorable and might find a modern audience.  The ebook revolution could put these stories back into print and KEEP them there.  Besides there were 2 Baroness stories that were written but never published.  This would allow us fans access to these legendary stories.

                  How do we go about getting the owners of the character interested in publishing the books in ebook format?

                  Art
                • jreynolds88
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 1, 2011
                    Hot!

                    Joe Kenney over at Glorious Trash has just posted a review of #4:

                    http://glorioustrash.blogspot.com/2011/04/baroness-4-hard-core-murder.html

                    He notes that she's nude for the last quarter of the book! She's first thrown into an arena with a hungry lion, then is chained up and has to battle some Mafiosi dressed as centurions, then is staked out to be attacked by an elephant, then rampages through the movie set armed only with a trident, and finally has the big showdown described above. It's pretty much nonstop mayhem, and funny to boot.

                    I don't know if Moffit wrote this one. It's a bit different in style from the others, and surely he can't have knocked out all 8 of these books himself. Mr. Vardeman, do you actually know who wrote what?
                  • jreynolds88
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 10, 2011
                      Oh, and there's another scene from #4 typed in in message 174. It happens earlier in the book where she's at a party in a New York skyscraper, dives out a 16th story window, is saved a thread of a super-strong polymer in her unraveling dress, and re-enters to knock off a lot of hoods. That particular book had a lot of great stuff.