Re: Another page on the Baroness

  • haldeman2068
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 3, 2010
      --- In TheBaroness@yahoogroups.com, "jreynolds88" <jreynolds88@...> wrote:

      > ... can be found here
      > <http://spyguysandgals.com/sgShowChar.asp?ScanName=Baroness> on the
      > Spy Guys and Gals <http://spyguysandgals.com/index1.asp> website. It
      > gives a rundown of the plots of all the novels, which I don't think
      > there is on this group. It compares her unfavorably with Modesty
      > Blaise, though, calling her unsympathetic and saying that the sex scenes
      > are too clinical.
      >
      > The site lists hundreds of series of spy novels, far more than I ever
      > thought existed. One that was new to me and might be of interest to B
      > fans are the Anna Zordan books: "The Chinese Visitor", "Seduce and
      > Destroy", and "Diamonds Are Deadly". Is anyone familiar with them?

      I saw the page on the Baroness at this website and I believe
      the grade given(C-???)is rather harsh. I'm not surprised that he
      gave the Modesty Blaise series an excellent review and grade but
      the Baroness deserves better. It's true that she may appear as he
      says unsympathetic and implying that there are too many sex scenes
      The sex is important to the plot of the books in a sense in that
      she usually has her encounters before the main action and sometimes
      when she is threatened with death(i.e. making love in "The Ecstasy Connection" and "Hard-Core Murder" before her alleged death which she always manages to avoid while disposing of the villain at the same time). Personally I would have given the series an A- at least(the series may not be perfect but it has elements that make it what it is).
    • haldeman2068
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 3, 2010
        --- In TheBaroness@yahoogroups.com, "jreynolds88" <jreynolds88@...> wrote:

        > ... can be found here
        > <http://spyguysandgals.com/sgShowChar.asp?ScanName=Baroness> on the
        > Spy Guys and Gals <http://spyguysandgals.com/index1.asp> website. It
        > gives a rundown of the plots of all the novels, which I don't think
        > there is on this group. It compares her unfavorably with Modesty
        > Blaise, though, calling her unsympathetic and saying that the sex scenes
        > are too clinical.
        >
        > The site lists hundreds of series of spy novels, far more than I ever
        > thought existed. One that was new to me and might be of interest to B
        > fans are the Anna Zordan books: "The Chinese Visitor", "Seduce and
        > Destroy", and "Diamonds Are Deadly". Is anyone familiar with them?

        After looking at this site again it's clear what this guy likes
        in regards to female spies in espionage/suspense series. A comparison
        of a few that are graded:

        The Baroness(C-....too low a grade as I've stated in my

        Cadbury(C....and another complaint about too much sex
        and an odd comparison to porn movies)

        Modesty Blaise(A++...a grade that is deserved but it
        was not necessary to really imply that the Baroness was
        a clone series)

        Anna Zordan(A-.....surprising grade but it must have been a
        good series)

        The Lady From L.U.S.T.(D...I would have given it a somewhat
        better grade)

        The Baroness is better than most of these series and as for the
        sex it is integrated rather well in the series. Saying that the Baroness is cold is also missing the point. She may appear that way
        but she cannot afford to be too emotional when it comes to rela-
        tionships or her missions would be compromised and would be most likely be fatal for her. I know this has been covered before but there is nothing wrong with restating it for emphasis.