Re: Baroness 9

  • augustjologs
    Message 1 of 15 , May 2, 2010
      How did you learn about the story? Have you read the french Photo-phobie? Unfortunately, the english original version wasn't published and the author Donald Moffatt's manuscript is hopelessly buried in his attic. Mr. Moffatt mentioned the villain in Death is a Copy Cat as the 3-legged Triskelion, who wants to cause world chaos by duplicating currencies.

      My reseach about photo-phobie revealed that the french translator was "Iawa Tate". Could the french translator still have the original english manuscript (after 35 years!)? This would be the best lead so far about getting the unpublished manuscript of Baroness 9. If nothing happens, I'll try to learn how to read advanced french (yikes) so I could enjoy Baroness 9. Maybe in a couple of years I can understand written french, eh?

      I uploaded scans of "Penny S", the french versions, including the correction for Penny 3, Cosaque-story, which is really the Death is a Ruby Light.

      --- In TheBaroness@yahoogroups.com, "hans9henrik" <hans9henrik@...> wrote:

      > One of the missing Baroness adventures, "Death is Copy Cat", was actually published in 1976, but only in French by the publishing house Eroscope. The title is "Penny 9 photo phobie".
      >
      > In the Photo albums this book is said to be a translation of "Death is a Ruby Light", which is wrong.
      > The french version of that adventure is "Cosaque story".
      >
      > In "Death is a Copy Cat" Penelope battles a French tycoon, who has made his fortune by inventing the perfect photocopier. The tycoon intends to use his machines for counterfeiting the leading currencies of the world and create financial chaos, which would give him world domination.
      >
      > This adventure certanly depicts the Baroness as we know her. She is taking care of the bad guys by breaking necks, crushing throats, smashing in heads, or strangling them. Many more are shot or killed with greandes.
      >
      > Her sex-life is as usual quite imaginitive. She has sex in a barrel of vintage wine with the french duke she met at the end of the book "Black Gold". But in this story she confines herself to just one lover.
      >
      > Photo-phobie is not a bad reason to learn French.
      >
      > regards

    • jreynolds88
      Message 2 of 15 , May 9, 2010
        Good catch! This is the first news of a new Baroness book since 1975!

        Since the rest of us are unlikely to ever see this edition, can you tell us some more juicy details of the plot? E.g. what is the big boss fight at the end like?
      • jreynolds88
        Message 3 of 15 , May 9, 2010
          Thanks for the cover uploads! Where did you find them? The cover for "Photo-phobie" actually says Baroness 9, so we should have realized it was something new. The model for the later covers is much improved over the earlier ones, although she still has auburn hair like the American covers instead of the raven black described in the books. #7, "Flash gorgone" (Flicker of Doom) is my favorite.
        • perfectpawn909
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 10, 2010
            Here's an idea...

            Why don't we all pitch in and buy a copy of the French book.

            Then we find someone who can translate from French to English, preferably an "amateur" translator who won't charge as much.

            We all chip in to pay the translator.

            The translater then does his/her job and sends us the translated work as a pdf or MS Word file.

            Voila, we all then have Baroness #9.

            --- In TheBaroness@yahoogroups.com, "jreynolds88" <jreynolds88@...> wrote:

            > Good catch! This is the first news of a new Baroness book since 1975!
            >
            > Since the rest of us are unlikely to ever see this edition, can you tell us some more juicy details of the plot? E.g. what is the big boss fight at the end like?

          • Holger Haase
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 11, 2010
              Well, for starters we won't have the original #9 but we'll have a translation of a translation which is absolutely not the same as the original manuscript. ;-)

              --
              Holger
            • artsippo@aol.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 11, 2010
                What is the title of Baroness 9 in French?
                Art Sippo

                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 11, 2010
                  But it's better than nothing, isn't it, Holger?? :)

                  BTW, enjoyed your write-up in Paperback Fanatic 15! I'm asking Justin M. if he can send me a jpeg of the frontspiece he created for the article, the detail of Death is a Ruby Light.

                  --- In TheBaroness@yahoogroups.com, Holger Haase <holger.haase@...> wrote:

                  > Well, for starters we won't have the original #9 but we'll have a
                  > translation of a translation which is absolutely not the same as the
                  > original manuscript. ;-)
                  >
                  > On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 9:15 PM, perfectpawn909
                  > <perfectpawn909@...>wrote:
                  >

                  > > Here's an idea...
                  > >
                  > > Why don't we all pitch in and buy a copy of the French book.
                  > >
                  > > Then we find someone who can translate from French to English, preferably
                  > > an "amateur" translator who won't charge as much.
                  > >
                  > > We all chip in to pay the translator.
                  > >
                  > > The translater then does his/her job and sends us the translated work as a
                  > > pdf or MS Word file.
                  > >
                  > > Voila, we all then have Baroness #9.
                  > >

                  > > --- In TheBaroness@yahoogroups.com <TheBaroness%40yahoogroups.com>,
                  > > "jreynolds88" <jreynolds88@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Good catch! This is the first news of a new Baroness book since 1975!
                  > > >
                  > > > Since the rest of us are unlikely to ever see this edition, can you tell
                  > > us some more juicy details of the plot? E.g. what is the big boss fight at
                  > > the end like?
                  > > >

                  > --
                  > Holger

                • Holger Haase
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 11, 2010
                    Glad you enjoyed the Paperback Fanatic write up. This group has been incredibly helpful for unearthing all kinds of Baroness related info.

                    --
                    Holger
                  • ppsantos
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 18, 2010
                      How do I get a copy of the Paperback Fanatic #15?

                      This group is cutting edge when it comes to topics about the Baroness!

                      --- In TheBaroness@yahoogroups.com, Holger Haase <holger.haase@...> wrote:

                      > Glad you enjoyed the Paperback Fanatic write up. This group has been
                      > incredibly helpful for unearthing all kinds of Baroness related info.
                      >
                      > On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 7:21 PM, perfectpawn909
                      > <perfectpawn909@...>wrote:
                      >

                      > > But it's better than nothing, isn't it, Holger?? :)
                      > >
                      > > BTW, enjoyed your write-up in Paperback Fanatic 15! I'm asking Justin M. if
                      > > he can send me a jpeg of the frontspiece he created for the article, the
                      > > detail of Death is a Ruby Light.
                      > >

                      > > --- In TheBaroness@yahoogroups.com <TheBaroness%40yahoogroups.com>, Holger
                      > > Haase <holger.haase@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Well, for starters we won't have the original #9 but we'll have a
                      > > > translation of a translation which is absolutely not the same as the
                      > > > original manuscript. ;-)

                      > > preferably

                      > > as a

                      > > 40yahoogroups.com>,

                      > > tell
                      > > at
                      > > > > >

                      > > > --
                      > > > Holger
                      > > >

                      > --
                      > Holger

                    • Holger Haase
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 18, 2010
                        Theoretically by buying it from their website: http://www.thepaperbackfanatic.com/page14.htm

                        Though I noticed that it still only says that it is going to be released not that it is already out. (And their issues seem to sell fast.)

                        I would therefore suggest to use the site's Contact Us button to express interest in the issue.

                        --
                        Holger
                      • augustjologs
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 25, 2010
                          The web admin says issue #15 is out of stock. The issue can only be had through a regular subscription. Anybody managed to get a copy the paperbackfanatic?

                        • Holger Haase
                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 26, 2010
                            Yeah, those mags sell out pretty quickly and my understanding is also that The Baroness article is one that gained the most general interest and queries. She sure seems a popular lady. Subscription now seems to be the only option to be guaranteed a new issue.

                            I have the issue in question.

                            --
                            Holger
                          • jreynolds88
                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 28, 2011
                              Has anyone else managed to find out anything about this book? Does an English version exist anywhere? Maybe Google Translate could help...