Re: Another lost femme-spy movie

  • jreynolds88
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 1 9:12 PM
      The author of the Black Widow script, David Hayter, talks some more about it <a href=http://www.latinoreview.com/news/david-hayter-talks-what-happened-to-marvel-s-black-widow-9307>here:</a> http://www.latinoreview.com/news/david-hayter-talks-what-happened-to-marvel-s-black-widow-9307.

      He basically says that it was done in by the failures of "Bloodrayne", "Aeon Flux", and "Ultraviolet". "Tomb Raider" and "Kill Bill" had done well, and prompted a spate of "female vigilante" (as he calls them) movies, but the others made his own project uneconomic. It looks to me like they all had capable actresses in the lead, but only "Kill Bill" had decent writing and direction. His own script wasn't really up to it either, being more coherent than AF or UV, but still not with a compelling core story.

      The interview comes from a new book, "Tales from the Script", and apparently there's a documentary coming out about it too.
    • mark_coop666
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 2 11:51 AM
        I quite enjoyed Aeon Flux - even though it's a mish-mash of two episodes from the cartoon series (A Last Time for Everything & Chronophasia). I think that may be why it actually made sense to me...although the whole Aeon Flux universe is really the delusional day dream of a soccer mom...lol

        Message 3 of 10 , May 16, 2010
          Having now seen "Iron Man 2", I think your fears were realized. Yes, she's hot, but she's also utterly cold. Johannsen plays her as smoothly expressionless. She only gets two action scenes - one where she flips a guy in a boxing ring and another where she disposes of a hall-full of guards - both of which are completely unnecessary to the overall plot. She does have one function in the story - she reports to Nick Fury on Tony Stark's fitness to be an Avenger - but that's kind of minor. She's certainly good eye candy, but it's hard to see what the talk of a spinoff movie would be based on.

          --- In TheBaroness@yahoogroups.com, "mark_coop666" <mark-coop4000@...> wrote:

> [...]
          >
          > Would have been better if it had been Emily Blunt in the role as originally cast, but there you go.
          >
          > I have to admit though that the Black Widow just leaves me cold as a character - lots of people say she's interesting in the various groups she's been a member of, yet when they give the character it's own series it falls flat on its face & no one buys it. I think she's only interesting in a group to highlight the different dynamics present within them.
          >
          > But that's just my personal opinion. I have to admit that Hayter's script just isn't any incarnation of the Black Widow I've read - either in the regular Marvel Universe or the Ultimate imprint - it just reads like a cyborg style character...and Elektra sucked - how can you make a character who's a sociopath sympathetic to people??
          >
          > Mark
          >
          > --- In TheBaroness@yahoogroups.com, "jreynolds88" <jreynolds88@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Unrelated to the Baroness, but perhaps of interest to this group, is
          > > this script
          > > <http://www.mypdfscripts.com/unproduced/black-widow-david-hayter-draft>
          > > for an unproduced movie about the Black Widow, the Marvel comic
          > > character
          > > (http://www.mypdfscripts.com/unproduced/black-widow-david-hayter-draft).
          > > It was written in 2005 by David Hayter, who also wrote "X-men", and
          > > co-wrote "X2" and "The Scorpion King". He was due to direct it, but
          > > since nothing has happened since then it's almost certainly dead.
          > >
          > > It's the story of Natasha Romanoff, an orphan girl trained to be a
          > > super-spy by a secret Soviet program. In the comic she's like the
          > > Baroness - a normal woman trained to extreme fitness - but here she's
          > > also given surgical enhancements that increase her strength and speed.
          > > She's only 17 when the Soviet Union breaks up. The masters of the
          > > program fear discovery, and so go rogue in Kazakhstan. She escapes to
          > > America, only to be followed there by her fellow super-spies and
          > > betrayed by the CIA.
          > >
          > > The script has huge amounts of action and hardly any romance, but does
          > > have a couple of bondage scenes that couldn't be done with an R rating.
          > > It was probably doomed anyway by the failure of "Elektra". There are
          > > actually some unproduced "Elektra" scripts on the same site, including
          > > one by Miller himself. They're better than the disaster that actually
          > > got made, but probably would have failed too.
          > >
          > > Anyway, the perfect casting for Widow would have been Mam Smith
          > > <http://www.shotgundigital.com/clients/mam_stunt> , an aerialist and
          > > stuntwoman, who sure has the build for it, and the flaming red hair
          > > (http://www.shotgundigital.com/clients/mam_stunt). I'd pay to see her
          > > in this! Someday someone will find the formula for action heroine
          > > films, and we'll all be happier campers.

        • thatoneguyyknowhim
          Message 4 of 10 , May 22, 2010
            I just learned of the Baroness' existence in the last week and have set out to discover her adventures, but I could definitely see the comparisons between her and Black Widow. Widow's last few limited series have been VERY espionage oriented, though her history (she's about eighty years old now and has some kind of gene graft to keep her in perfect physical condition) may actually be more complicated.

            But I totally would agree that she's portrayed quite weakly in the new movie. But knowing Marvel they probably are planning a spin-off post-Avengers. Who knows how good it would be though.

            Nick A.