Baroness-ish series "The Insiders" being filmed w Alba

  • jreynolds88
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2010
      Jessica Alba and Robert Rodriguez bought the rights to this Belgian graphic novel series about a beautiful spy who infiltrates various villainous groups. Najah Cruz is a Columbian who has been tasked by the White House (really?) with taking down cabals of corrupt businessmen and politicians. Here's a highly promising picture:

      http://www.quacor.com/uploadfile/2009/0622/20090622095202833.jpg

      And here's the most recent news about it:

      http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/15797/jcvd-s-mechri-helms-alba-s-insiders-/

      There are half a dozen of these books out, but none of them have appeared in English. I've seen a few sample pages, and they look like hard-boiled spy stuff, that is, without the fantastic elements of Bond, but I'm afraid I don't read French. Some titles are "Missiles for Islamabad" and "The Afghan Trap", so her adventures are pretty current.

      The character looks to be physically a match for Alba, but I don't know if she has the confidence and ferocity that such a role would demand. Angelina Jolie can only do this kind of character so many times, and unfortunately she's aging out of the best range for these roles, as can be seen in the trailers for her next action piece, "Salt". We'll keep our fingers crossed.
    • mark_coop666
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 4, 2010
        I've read "The Insiders" - and I'd be very surprised if it turns out anything like the comic book series.

        For a start, it's a Belgian-French translation of a Russian comic book series. The central character is a Chechen war criminal who poses as a Russian agent to eliminate everyone who knows about her past (opening scene of the books is set in the civil war and she walks into a school and guns down a bunch of kids - so you can get an idea of how psychotic she is from the start).

        Interestingly enough, in the Belgian-French translation they portray her as a Russian agent posing as a Chechen posing as a Russian - which causes problems later on with the continuity. I'm guessing they must have felt abit squeamish about her behaviour to make that sort of a character change without reading ahead.

        It also contains very, very little action - for example, in The Afghan Trap there are 12 panels of action throughout a 40 page book (at 6 panels a page) - the rest of it is talking about the political situation and flashbacks to the Russian war in the country. Even then, the action is basically limited to her shooting people in the back.

        I'm not saying it's a bad comic - it isn't, it's very enjoyable if you like cerebral stuff and lots of political shenanigans - but I would struggle to see the similarity beyond the title in the two works.

        You can get it in the UK in an English translation, but it works out at about £10 an issue so it's quite a pricey book to buy.

        Personally, I'm sick of Angelina Jolie in these types of roles - it's becoming a cliche within a cliched genre in one respect.

        Oi vey...

        Mark

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 17, 2010
          Thanks for the info! It's impressive that you're familiar with this! It sure doesn't sound suitable for a Rodriguez/Alba vehicle, so I wonder what parts of it they wanted to keep. The Chechen background? The double-double-crossing?

          Or maybe it's just really hard to put together a plausible female action vehicle, so they have to go to somewhat remote corners of the earth to find such characters. Modesty Blaise was one such - no one is quite sure where she came from or where she acquired her talent for violence.

          The Baroness has a pretty implausible background for someone who's such a proficient killer; growing up in Main Line Philadelphia doesn't give you an appetite for kicking people in the head. The books say she learned it all in a secret CIA course, but if it were that easy to pick up, the world would be full of super-killers of her caliber.

          Chechnya, though, has been an immensely violent place for centuries, and these days they have a reputation for extreme bad-assery. They even have their own term for female suicide bombers, Shahidka (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shahidka) A Chechen assasinatrix makes more sense than a Philadelphian one.
        • mark_coop666
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 18, 2010
            I suspect that they will dump all the Chechnya/Russia related stuff and keep it focused on the whole idea of the female agent and the whole double-double crossing thing. To be honest, I would anticipate more of something along the lines of "Wanted" in that they'll take the general idea and write their own thing from it.

            Not that that's a bad thing - but if you're a fan of the book then this won't be what you're looking for. I could be wrong but I doubt they have the stomach to produce a true to source adaptation - the central character is a borderline sociopath...

            Having said that, you never know do you...my money would be on a Desperado-inspired clone though...we shall see.