my first post

  • Kate Keene
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 5, 2008
      Hello all,

      Well, this is my first post.  I was amazed to find The Baroness list.  I was starting to think that I was the only one who remembered this series.  I first came across the series when I was a kid.  My parents owned them.  To be honest, I read them because they were the first books I'd come across that had descriptions of sex.  Sad, but true.

      Anyway, she became a heroine for me.  Even just deep within my subconscious.  I loved the fact that she was dark-haired.  When I was a young girl, all the heroines were blonde, or at least that's what it felt like.  I loved the fact that she was smart, capable, worked with a team, but still fought her own battles.  She was like a female James Bond crossed with Mission Impossible.

      I forgot about Penelope for years.  Then I came across a copy of Diamonds Are For Dying in a used bookstore and snatched it up.  All the stories came flooding back.  I loved the covers as a kid, and when I was older I appreciated the facts that unlike a lot of book covers of that time, all the elements on the Baroness covers were in the stories.    Ebay, that wonderful blessed place, helped me get the whole series again, and now they are in pride of place with my James Bond paperbacks and my Gold Medal forbidden love paperbacks.

      We just had hurricane Ike on the Gulf Coast.  I was nine days without electricity.  It was not the fun trip that was promised, I tell you.  I needed cheap escapism.  So I just reread the series and my affection rose up all over again.

      So, now, is there any fanfic?

      "My darling girl, when are you going to realize that being normal is not necessarily a virtue? It rather denotes a lack of courage!"
      Fran Owens, Witch.