Welcome! What's your favorite Baroness book?

  • ppsantos
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 21, 2005
      This message board welcomes all discussion about the Baroness
      superspy. I shall post a scan of the covers of the 8 books in the
      future.

      I have all 8 books published by pocket books and one Futura edition
      (#2, "Diamonds Are For Dying"). Of the 8, my favorites are #3 and
      #1, followed by #7. What are your favorites?
    • Charo Goldstein
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 19 3:44 PM
        --- In TheBaroness@yahoogroups.com, "ppsantos" <ppsantos@...> wrote:

        > This message board welcomes all discussion about the Baroness
        > superspy. I shall post a scan of the covers of the 8 books in the
        > future.
        >
        > I have all 8 books published by pocket books and one Futura edition
        > (#2, "Diamonds Are For Dying"). Of the 8, my favorites are #3 and
        > #1, followed by #7. What are your favorites?

        Like I said, this is a rather late reply, but I just joined the
        group. So far, back in the mid 70's, I read only Death is a Ruby
        Light and Diamonds are for Dying. I did not like Diamonds are for
        Dying, but I just loved Death is a Ruby Light.

        Death is a Ruby Light was completely action-packed with a lot of hand-
        to-hand combat from beginning to end. Starting with the fight at the
        doorway after one of the masked men heard the boss call her Coin,
        then the Kazakh scene where she battles about three (?) men (even
        does a cartwheel to kick one with both feet before gutting him with
        the knife). Then in the headquarters of that guy who tried to
        torture her with the electricity (where she kills the guard who
        points a submachine gun [?] at her head by turning around, getting
        his eyes with both fingers straight to the sockets, then finishing
        him off with either a chop of the heel of her hand), and it goes on,
        and on and on. The non-stop action combined with the graphic sexual
        scenes (come on, guys, I find it no different from reading a Bertrice
        Small romance that has just about the same graphic scenes) make it a
        really good book. Since I don't have it anymore, I ordered a copy of
        it again.

        Oh, I also like that scene where she challenges Omogoy in his tent,
        then after a while gets captured by him (I believe he called her
        Amerikhanets man woman), raped while she was unconscious, and then
        fights the men that captured her. I have to say that that book had a
        lot of good scenes.

        Anyone here care to talk about the other books? How do they compare
        to Death is a Ruby Light?

        Charo Goldstein
        Harrisburg, PA