New V-Synth track.

  • Ronald Pieket <rpieket@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2003
      I have uploaded my latest concoction. It is an atonal sound cloud,
      constructed entirely on the V-Synth. The resample facility is REALLY COOL!

      The track is titled "Monochrome #1", and you will find it here:

      http://electronicscene.com/ronpieket

      - Ronald.
    • Michael Lauer
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2003
        Ronald,

        thanks for this sound - it's absolutely fabulous. This sound alone feels
        like a much
        stronger argument to buy this synth than any demos I heard before.
        Say, how long did it take you to create it and what was the raw material
        (sample?) for
        this sound?

        I really like to hear more of this stuff!

        Cheers,

        Mickey.

        :M:
        --
        Michael 'Mickey' Lauer . . . . . . . . . mickey@...
        How could anyone know me - when I don't even know myself ?
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1, 2003
          I'm glad you asked. :)

          The short piece is the result of my first night's practice with the
          V-Synth resample function. The session was around five hours long, but
          I think I worked on this particular sound for maybe an hour or two.

          The process, as I remember it, was as follows: (1) I created a sound
          with two "analog" oscillators. One oscillator provided a normal note,
          while the other used LFO and pitch envelope to create "glitter". The
          "glitter" was further enhanced by using the voice ring modulator, and
          a COSM side band filter. (2) Armed with this source material, I
          entered the sampling mode, and selected internal resampling as the
          sound source. I played a short riff (six seconds approx), which I
          sampled with effects and all (reverb and delay), and encoded with the
          Variphrase "ensemble" algorithm. (3) I went back to patch mode, and
          made a simple patch containing only my new sample, and a little
          filtering. I made the sample run backwards, and very slow. (4) I ran
          the V-Synth through an Alesis Ineko for phasing, and an Alesis MPX550
          for reverb, pressed "record" on my Tascam 788 digital portastudio, and
          started exploring the patch on the keyboard. What you hear in the MP3
          is a 7 minute excerpt of me noodling around with the sound for about
          45 minutes or so.

          What intrigues me, is that the sound is entirely synthetic. It was
          conceived and born inside the machine. Sonus Ex Machina. It started
          out as a fairly straight forward VA type of sound, processed and
          mangled into something complex, rich and organic. Something that is
          interesting enough to sustain (my) interest for a 7 minute piece,
          without further need for keyboard "performance". Yes, I did press
          different keys on the keyboard, but it's not the "performance" that
          demands the interest, it is merely a frame.

          The question is, is this result so typical of V-Synth mangling, that
          all sounds end up sounding pretty much the same? What makes me
          suspicious, is that it was so easy. Am I really that talented, was I
          just lucky, or does the V-Synth sound like this no matter what you
          throw at it? As I said, it was my first resample session, so it's too
          soon to tell.

          - Ronald.

          http://electronicscene.com/ronpieket
          http://electronicscene.com/zweaz

          --- In The-V-Group@yahoogroups.com, Michael Lauer <mickey@V...> wrote:
          > Ronald,
          >
          > thanks for this sound - it's absolutely fabulous. This sound alone feels
          > like a much
          > stronger argument to buy this synth than any demos I heard before.
          > Say, how long did it take you to create it and what was the raw material
          > (sample?) for
          > this sound?
          >
          > I really like to hear more of this stuff!
          >
          > Cheers,
          >
          > Mickey.
          >
          > :M:
          > --
          > Michael 'Mickey' Lauer . . . . . . . . . mickey@V...
          > How could anyone know me - when I don't even know myself ?
        • Don Gothard
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 1, 2003
            I would say yes to your question, these sounds of yours are great. The
            V-synth really does make creating these type sounds surprisingly easy. I
            have made lots of these type swirling pad sounds with my V-synth using
            analog osc, resampling to pcm, and tweaking some more, I am able to play
            them for hours without boredom...cool stuff. Guess i should record a few of
            them as well.

            Don