Sampling from Digital Inputs

  • dj_kypski
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 12, 2002
      When sampling from the digital inputs , is it best to keep the signal
      under the clipping line, or is it okay if it clips only barely ?

      Thanks

      Thomas
    • ridszero <ridszero@hotmail.com>
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 16, 2003
        I've been away for a while, but now I'm up and running. I don't
        really understand what equipment that has digitals you could
        sample into the VP. I could see transfering samples to like your
        recording setup though.

        --- In vp9000@yahoogroups.com, "dj_kypski" <dj_kypski@y...>

      • mrdrgreen <dgreen@lilchips.com>
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 16, 2003
          Hi group,

          To answer Thomas' question, If "the clipping line" is below 0dBFS
          (ie: -3 or -6dB) then exceeding the "line" is fine. You do *not*
          want to go over 0dBFS though.

          To answer ridszero's question, the Analog I/O on the VP-9000 are 20-
          bit, the S/PDIF is 24-bit, internal is 24-bit, so sampling into the
          S/PDIF would be the preferred method.
          I use one of the Digital S/PDIF In/Out on my Roland VM-7200 V-Mixer
          setup to connet to the VP-9000, keeping both sampling and playback at
          full 24-bit digital.

          David
          lilchips.com

          --- In vp9000@yahoogroups.com, "ridszero <ridszero@h...>"