Having some trouble with mapping the keyboard

  • vireil
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 7, 2002
      I've just started working with the VP 9000 and it's great.
      Unfortunately, I am not getting the desired result while attempting
      to map 72 samples to different keyboard keys.

      I've created the performace, set each part to phrase map, set the key
      range for each part so that there is no overlap, assigned the samples
      on and on....
      When I try to play samples back it sounds like some of the files may
      be corrupt, but I've checked them and they are ok in preview mode (as
      well as on my PC). I also get parts of other samples played back at
      the end of another samples playback.

      Has anyone here successfully mapped 72 samples to different keys on
      the keyboard and if so was there some less than obvious step that you
      had to undertake? I've gone through the documentation repeatedly and
      still am not getting the desired result.

      Any suggestions are appreciated.
    • william seth
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 7, 2002
        quest is get an MPC. It a phrase sampler like the SP808, and its gonna be hell trying to get it to play 72 samples with out them snapping and sounding like you need to raise the buffer on it.

        Do you Yahoo!?
        faith.yahoo.com
      • vireil
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 7, 2002
          --- In vp9000@y..., william seth <jdem415@y...> wrote:
          > quest is get an MPC. It a phrase sampler like the SP808, and its
          gonna be hell trying to get it to play 72 samples with out them
          snapping and sounding like you need to raise the buffer on it.

          > Faith Hill - Exclusive Performances, Videos, & more
          > faith.yahoo.com

          An MPC would do the trick, but for the time being I'm stuck with the
          VP 9000. I can get 12 samples in a single part mapped for playback
          with no problem. It just doesn't work with all 6 parts.... Wonder if
          there's a secret switch somewhere.
        • william seth
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 7, 2002
            Yeah! A SWITCH!  thats gotta be it. I wonder where it could be.... mine musta broka off

            Do you Yahoo!?
            faith.yahoo.com
          • vireil
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 7, 2002
              --- In vp9000@y..., william seth <jdem415@y...> wrote:
              > Yeah! A SWITCH! thats gotta be it. I wonder where it could be....
              mine musta broka off

              > Faith Hill - Exclusive Performances, Videos, & more
              > faith.yahoo.com

              All kidding aside..... this thing is not functioning as advertised.
              I've gone through the process to set this up a couple times now, and
              it just does not work properly beyond a single part. Let me know if
              you have success mapping 72 different samples to consecutive keys on
              an external midi keyboard.
            • vireil
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 8, 2002
                --- In vp9000@y..., "vireil" <vireilx@h...> wrote:
                > --- In vp9000@y..., william seth <jdem415@y...> wrote:
                > > Yeah! A SWITCH! thats gotta be it. I wonder where it could
                be....
                > mine musta broka off

                > > Faith Hill - Exclusive Performances, Videos, & more
                > > faith.yahoo.com
                >

                > All kidding aside..... this thing is not functioning as advertised.
                > I've gone through the process to set this up a couple times now,
                and
                > it just does not work properly beyond a single part. Let me know
                if
                > you have success mapping 72 different samples to consecutive keys
                on
                > an external midi keyboard.

                Looks like the problem is related to SIMM's that we installed being
                incompatible with the unit. Funny that it recognizes them, but when
                the memmory diag is run they come back with a status of NG.
              • Sevo Stille
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 8, 2002
                  vireil wrote:

                  > Looks like the problem is related to SIMM's that we installed being
                  > incompatible with the unit. Funny that it recognizes them, but when
                  > the memmory diag is run they come back with a status of NG.

                  Perfectly normal. That the chip ID can be read is a prerequisite to them
                  being useable, but there is more to it than that! So far, I've only
                  found one SIMM which could not even be detected, but three out of eight
                  were detected but failed the diagnostics.

                  Sevo
                • vireil
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 11, 2002
                    --- In vp9000@y..., Sevo Stille <sevo@r...> wrote:
                    > vireil wrote:
                    >
                    > > Looks like the problem is related to SIMM's that we installed
                    being
                    > > incompatible with the unit. Funny that it recognizes them, but
                    when
                    > > the memmory diag is run they come back with a status of NG.
                    >
                    > Perfectly normal. That the chip ID can be read is a prerequisite to
                    them
                    > being useable, but there is more to it than that! So far, I've only
                    > found one SIMM which could not even be detected, but three out of
                    eight
                    > were detected but failed the diagnostics.
                    >
                    > Sevo

                    I was finally able to get in contact with Roland User Support. They
                    recommended that I purchase memory from http://www.oempcworld.com
                    I did and it works. They actually have a sampler/memory matrix so you
                    can get the right memory based on the brand and model of your
                    sampler.