memory cards

  • Andrew
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 2, 2006
      I'd like to explore the XT's sampler a lot more, but there doesn't seem to
      be much memory available.

      The manual suggests that a PC card can be used to store waves and patches so
      long as blank locations are available to work in on the XT.

      It doesn't say much about the cards, though. What sort of cards do people
      use?

      - thanks
    • Paul Nagle
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 2, 2006
        Andrew wrote:

        >I'd like to explore the XT's sampler a lot more, but there doesn't seem to
        >be much memory available.

        It's probably worth repeating that the V-Synth is not anything like a
        conventional sampler - it is a synth that uses samples in an innovative
        way as sound sources. There isn't much memory available if you compare
        it to a "normal" sampler but it looks far better if you compare it to a
        PCM synth whose memory is not fixed to the supplied waveforms... :)

        >The manual suggests that a PC card can be used to store waves and patches so
        >long as blank locations are available to work in on the XT.
        >
        >It doesn't say much about the cards, though. What sort of cards do people
        >use?

        I have a 512Mb card in mine I think, a generic thing I also use in my
        digital camera. It has quite a few projects of different types on it
        which include my current bank and earlier revisions of it.

        Paul

        --
        Paul Nagle / The Joint Intelligence Committee / Binar / Headshock

        www.BogusFocus.com / www.softroom.co.uk / www.binar.co.uk
      • Andrew
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 2, 2006
          Thanks, Paul. That was quick. :D

          I tried a few samples and edited them into patches, so the V-Synth's way of
          using samples as waveforms for patches is very much what I'm after. I've
          actually had the XT for a while so I'm pretty familar with its
          patch-creating potential - and I'm very impressed with it.

          Now you've said you're finding a standard generic card to work ok I'll get
          something of the sort from my local camera shop, but I was a bit wary until
          I knew this was definitely the kind of thing I could use. Thanks.
        • Gene Cookmeyer
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 2, 2006
            I use a SanDisk Compactflash card in mine with a SandDisk Ultra PC Card Adapter to make it compatible with the slot.

            Gene
            http://www.topsoundproductions.com

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 2, 2006
              does anyone know exactly how big of a card you can get?
              can I use a 4+ GB card?
              right now I think i have a 512 meg one, also with a PC card adapter.  it would seem you could use the v-synth as a sampler, just by running a drum kit with lots of phrases instead of one-hits and trigger it on channels 2-16 with an external sequencer while still using ch.1 for playing.

              someone please tell me how large of card you can use, I'm very interested in that.

              -wes

              Gene Cookmeyer <musiclover1966@...> wrote:
              I use a SanDisk Compactflash card in mine with a SandDisk Ultra PC Card Adapter to make it compatible with the slot.

              Gene
              http://www.topsoundproductions.com

              I'd like to explore the XT's sampler a lot more, but there doesn't seem to
              be much memory available.

              The manual suggests that a PC card can be used to store waves and patches so
              long as blank locations are available to work in on the XT.

              It doesn't say much about the cards, though.  What sort of cards do people
              use?

              - thanks

              Yahoo! Photos
            • Paul Nagle
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 3, 2006
                On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 20:28:29 -0800 (PST), "Wesley D."
                <Serfiss@...> wrote:

                > someone please tell me how large of card you can use, I'm very interested in that.

                I seem to recall mention of 2Gb for the original V-Synth but that's
                very much from my shaky memory... hopefully someone here can correct
                me and make allowances for my advancing years... :)

                Paul
                ---
                Paul Nagle - SoftRoom Music - www.softroom.co.uk
                Bogus Focus Records - www.BogusFocus.com
              • Andrew
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 3, 2006
                  Ordered the SanDisk 512 and PC Card Adapter.

                  Many thanks.