Re: Loading times? VP-9000

  • Dwayne James
    Message 1 of 4 , May 13, 2005
      Has anyone found a faster method of loading samples into the VP-9000?
      Maybe using a external HD?

      A friend of mine is using it live, and it takes forever to load.

      Dwayne J.

      --- In The-V-Group@yahoogroups.com, "icarusi_uk" <icarusi@h...> wrote:
      > I'm getting approx 150k per second on samples but only 2 seconds
      > per 'performance' (without associated samples) which are only 19Kb?
      > Seeing as a USB Zip transfers at 900Kb/s, I assume it's the VP which
      > is the limiting factor, or is it the VP/Zip interface. Has anyone got
      > better loading times with a scsi drive? I just saved and loaded a 50s
      > mono file and note that it's 4540Kb on disk but expands to 7718Kb in
      > the VP, so the save/load times seem to depend on how quickly the VP
      > codec works?
      >
      > I was trying to get the Multi to default to having parts 1-6 routed
      > to the input, but so far the only way I've found is to use the zip
      > autoload function, to load a performance with the Multi input
      > routings already set. It seems to me an error by Roland to default
      > to 'no input' on the Multi, then needing 5 button presses (or 4+value
      > knob) to actually switch anything on, assuming you've either guessed
      > which particular 5 buttons to press, or have really RTFM?
      >
      > I conclude Roland are IDIOTS for providing no opportunity to change,
      > as a switch-on default, to redress this, even after having buried the
      > function so deep in the menus. I often wonder if hi-tech instrument
      > manufacturers ever use their products? I'm no rocket scientist but
      > when auditioning new kit, within minutes I virtually always find some
      > ropey bit of implemetation, which severely limits the product's use,
      > especially live!
      >
      > Rant over! Luckily things seem to be improving, the pros mean buying
      > them, warts and all!
      >
      > Icarusi
    • Alain M.
      Message 2 of 4 , May 14, 2005
        the 100MB zip's take longer than the 200MB to load, according to the
        Zip documentation. Just get a cheap $5 SCSI drive and it will cut the
        load time in half.

        -- In The-V-Group@yahoogroups.com, "Dwayne James" <randomnoiseg@y...>
        wrote:
        > Has anyone found a faster method of loading samples into the VP-9000?
        > Maybe using a external HD?
        >
        > A friend of mine is using it live, and it takes forever to load.
        >
        > Dwayne J.
        >
        > --- In The-V-Group@yahoogroups.com, "icarusi_uk" <icarusi@h...> wrote:
        > > I'm getting approx 150k per second on samples but only 2 seconds
        > > per 'performance' (without associated samples) which are only 19Kb?
        > > Seeing as a USB Zip transfers at 900Kb/s, I assume it's the VP which
        > > is the limiting factor, or is it the VP/Zip interface. Has anyone got
        > > better loading times with a scsi drive? I just saved and loaded a 50s
        > > mono file and note that it's 4540Kb on disk but expands to 7718Kb in
        > > the VP, so the save/load times seem to depend on how quickly the VP
        > > codec works?
        > >
        > > I was trying to get the Multi to default to having parts 1-6 routed
        > > to the input, but so far the only way I've found is to use the zip
        > > autoload function, to load a performance with the Multi input
        > > routings already set. It seems to me an error by Roland to default
        > > to 'no input' on the Multi, then needing 5 button presses (or 4+value
        > > knob) to actually switch anything on, assuming you've either guessed
        > > which particular 5 buttons to press, or have really RTFM?
        > >
        > > I conclude Roland are IDIOTS for providing no opportunity to change,
        > > as a switch-on default, to redress this, even after having buried the
        > > function so deep in the menus. I often wonder if hi-tech instrument
        > > manufacturers ever use their products? I'm no rocket scientist but
        > > when auditioning new kit, within minutes I virtually always find some
        > > ropey bit of implemetation, which severely limits the product's use,
        > > especially live!
        > >
        > > Rant over! Luckily things seem to be improving, the pros mean buying
        > > them, warts and all!
        > >
        > > Icarusi
      • Dwayne James
        Message 3 of 4 , May 15, 2005
          I am using 250mb disk. I even hooked up a 1gb external scsi Hard Drive
          to the unit, but the load time is almost the same as the internal zip.
          I tried another external Hard Drive with the same results.

          I recently tried an internal CF card reader in place of the internal
          ZIP drive and it was actually a bit slower than the internal 250mb ZIP.