VC-1 D-50 Card

  • marmaduke1012004
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 4, 2004
      Hello,

      The new D-50 card for V-synth & VariOS sounds quite good. For those
      who thus far have them, give your thoughts on the card.

      Regards
    • dwaldman6
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 4, 2004
        --- In The-V-Group@yahoogroups.com, "marmaduke1012004"
        <marmaduke1012004@y...> wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > The new D-50 card for V-synth & VariOS sounds quite good.
        For those
        > who thus far have them, give your thoughts on the card.
        >

        > Regards

        Do you actually have the item?

        If so, can you edit sounds and save them back to the RAM card?
      • marmaduke1012004
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 5, 2004
          Yes, the card seems to have internal banks as well as preset banks.
          The internals can be overwritten like the V-Synth's native setup.
          You can even transfer banks to and from the included editor (it also
          functions as a librarian).
          The editor seems to be based on the Midiquest layout. I've primarily
          worked with SoundDiver and have to get the hang of this editor.
          Overall, as far as sound goes, I no longer have an actual D50 to
          compare the VC-1 card with however, you can select a playback speed
          of 44.1, 44.8, and 96Khz on the system page, so the fidelity is
          considerably cleaner with more high-end detail.
          Due to the fact that you can layer the tones as on the original D50,
          I found some of the patches to be a bit more full-sounding than
          many of the tones from V-Synth's native architecture.
          For me at least, the V-Synth sounds are more specialized for specific
          apps and the D-50 sounds are more all-purpose. Both V-Synth and D-50
          sounds balance each other out nicely.

          Regards
        • DodgingRain
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 5, 2004
            How did you get a vc-1?

          • Don Gothard
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 5, 2004
              Some places seem to have a couple in stock, I just ordered one myself from
              another place that doesn't seem to have anymore, but here is one that shows
              it in stock (scroll down). At least in the US. Check around.

              http://www.bpmmusic.com/cgi-bin/plist7.cgi?keyboardacc.dat

              Don

            • Don Gothard
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 5, 2004
                I'm curious what the boot time is like with the vc-1 card installed is it
                any faster?

                Don

              • Damon
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 18, 2004
                  Heyo;
                  I'm new here. Just bought a V synth about 5 days ago. I had first purchased the fantom
                  X7, and was enjoying it, but finally concluded that the absurd sounds that the V synth
                  makes were more my style, than the work horse thing. So, I exchanged the fantom x for a
                  demo model V synth. And I purchased the D 50 card about 3 days ago, as well.

                  I have never heard the original D 50 (in person), so I am not in a position to compare it
                  with the ear of classic synth experience, but I can say that the D 50 card has a very smooth
                  and refined cleanness of sound, that quite soundly (pardon the pun) contradicts the more
                  erratic sounds of the V synth patch collection.

                  Most the patches have that immediate "i want to use this in a mix" quality, and are very
                  refined - refined to the point that you can mangle the sound really easily with very few
                  alterations. I guess the original D 50 did not have an arpeggiator, cause I have not been
                  able to locate one in the card, but aside from that issue of personal taste, the D 50 card
                  (for my money) has been a very sound (pardon the pun, again) purchase, and really stokes
                  my coals of enthusiasm about and for future cards to be sold by Roland.

                  Blessings,
                  Damon

                  <marmaduke1012004@y...> wrote:
                  > Hello,
                  >
                  > The new D-50 card for V-synth & VariOS sounds quite good. For those
                  > who thus far have them, give your thoughts on the card.
                  >

                  > Regards
                • Damon
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 18, 2004
                    After further experimentation, I would like to edit my comments on the D 50 card. It is
                    not "good," it is brilliant. Even if the D 50 had never before been produced, the sounds on
                    this card would hold there own. I mean, BOOM! Some of these patches could take out
                    your speakers if you are not careful... And the sense of reverb and space and depth is
                    amazing. Quality, quality, quality...

                    If they were having sound quality issues before this card was marketed, they surly
                    remedied that problem. I am more impressed with this card in my V, than I was with the
                    complete orchestra set in the fantom X, and that is a very excellent collection. We is in,
                    "the (to coin a really obnoxious phrase) roland of milk and honey." I shall now duck out
                    before the rotten tomatoes start flying.

                    Blessings,
                    Damon

                    Gear (me babies): eMac 700, Logic 5, ES2 (not yet registered), Ableton 3, Reaktor 4,
                    Tassman 4, Acid Pro 4 and Sound Forge 5 and Fruityloops and Cakewalk Studio (All on my
                    old and no longer used Dell), Absynth 2, Albino 2 (personal fav), T-racks, Reason 2.5,
                    Recycle, Garage Band, V -synth (YEEHAA!), M-Audio Oxygen 8, M -Audio Firewire 410.
                    ------------

                    --- In The-V-Group@yahoogroups.com, "Damon" <tunepoetmookie@a...> wrote:
                    > Heyo;
                    > I'm new here. Just bought a V synth about 5 days ago. I had first purchased the fantom
                    > X7, and was enjoying it, but finally concluded that the absurd sounds that the V synth
                    > makes were more my style, than the work horse thing. So, I exchanged the fantom x for
                    > demo model V synth. And I purchased the D 50 card about 3 days ago, as well.
                    >
                    > I have never heard the original D 50 (in person), so I am not in a position to compare it
                    > with the ear of classic synth experience, but I can say that the D 50 card has a very
                    smooth
                    > and refined cleanness of sound, that quite soundly (pardon the pun) contradicts the
                    more
                    > erratic sounds of the V synth patch collection.
                    >
                    > Most the patches have that immediate "i want to use this in a mix" quality, and are very
                    > refined - refined to the point that you can mangle the sound really easily with very few
                    > alterations. I guess the original D 50 did not have an arpeggiator, cause I have not been
                    > able to locate one in the card, but aside from that issue of personal taste, the D 50 card
                    > (for my money) has been a very sound (pardon the pun, again) purchase, and really
                    stokes
                    > my coals of enthusiasm about and for future cards to be sold by Roland.
                    >
                    > Blessings,
                    > Damon
                    >
                    > --- In The-V-Group@yahoogroups.com, "marmaduke1012004"
                    > <marmaduke1012004@y...> wrote:
                    > > Hello,
                    > >
                    > > The new D-50 card for V-synth & VariOS sounds quite good. For those
                    > > who thus far have them, give your thoughts on the card.
                    > >

                    > > Regards
                  • marmaduke1012004
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 19, 2004
                      Hello,

                      The original D-50 has the same character however, it is quite noisy.
                      This was due to the fact that the first generation of sample playback
                      synths (Yamaha DX-7, Roland D-50, Ensoniq ESQ-1, etc..) had a low-
                      fidelity digital sound. The present technology enables newer synths
                      to take the waves from older digital synths and play them back
                      through high fidelity D/A converters, making them much cleaner
                      sounding than the originals.
                      The D-50 was a great gigging synth in that you could get open, ambient
                      textures or ethereal pads one minute, then bread and butter type
                      sounds (beefy organs, thick brass, analogish pads) the next.
                      The VC-1 card reproduces the D-50 with a clarity that surpasses the
                      original. The card perfectly complements the more specialized sounds
                      of the V-Synth's native sound engine. Between the two, you can cover
                      a lot of bases musically. Throw in an analog synth, and you're
                      dangerous.
                      I would still like to see them do reproductions of a few non-Roland
                      synths as well.

                      Play On!

                      Larry
                    • marmaduke1012004
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 19, 2004
                        Clarification, the DX-7 is an FM synth (not a sample playback), but
                        still uses the low resolution digital circuits as the first generation
                        spb synths.

                        Play On!
                      • Damon
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 19, 2004
                          You know, I had a feeling about that, but could not confirm it having never heard the
                          orignial D 50. I did read the original had like 63 patches, and the D 50 card has tons. My
                          thought was "the orignial D 50 could not possibly have sounded BETTER than this." I
                          suppose, when you are seeking to emulate an analog synth, there will always be folks who
                          can tell the difference, but when emulating digital with digital, there is always a good
                          chance that the new version will actually sound better. Pretty cool.

                          Blessings,
                          Damon

                          <marmaduke1012004@y...> wrote:
                          > Hello,
                          >
                          > The original D-50 has the same character however, it is quite noisy.
                          > This was due to the fact that the first generation of sample playback
                          > synths (Yamaha DX-7, Roland D-50, Ensoniq ESQ-1, etc..) had a low-
                          > fidelity digital sound. The present technology enables newer synths
                          > to take the waves from older digital synths and play them back
                          > through high fidelity D/A converters, making them much cleaner
                          > sounding than the originals.
                          > The D-50 was a great gigging synth in that you could get open, ambient
                          > textures or ethereal pads one minute, then bread and butter type
                          > sounds (beefy organs, thick brass, analogish pads) the next.
                          > The VC-1 card reproduces the D-50 with a clarity that surpasses the
                          > original. The card perfectly complements the more specialized sounds
                          > of the V-Synth's native sound engine. Between the two, you can cover
                          > a lot of bases musically. Throw in an analog synth, and you're
                          > dangerous.
                          > I would still like to see them do reproductions of a few non-Roland
                          > synths as well.
                          >
                          > Play On!
                          >
                          > Larry
                        • Robert van der Kamp
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 19, 2004
                            On Sunday 20 June 2004 01:11, Damon wrote:
                            > You know, I had a feeling about that, but could not
                            > confirm it having never heard the orignial D 50. I did
                            > read the original had like 63 patches, and the D 50 card
                            > has tons. My thought was "the orignial D 50 could not
                            > possibly have sounded BETTER than this." I suppose, when
                            > you are seeking to emulate an analog synth, there will
                            > always be folks who can tell the difference, but when
                            > emulating digital with digital, there is always a good
                            > chance that the new version will actually sound better.
                            > Pretty cool.

                            I remember the D-50 as an *analog* synth, with optional
                            digital waveforms, mostly used for the attack. Never liked
                            the digital part of the D-50, but its pads were always very
                            warm (though noisy).

                            - Robert
                          • Paul Nagle
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 20, 2004
                              On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 07:44:46 +0200, Robert van der Kamp
                              <robnet@...> wrote:

                              >I remember the D-50 as an *analog* synth, with optional
                              >digital waveforms, mostly used for the attack. Never liked
                              >the digital part of the D-50, but its pads were always very
                              >warm (though noisy).

                              So did I for a long time - until someone told me the D-50 was fully
                              digital. Does this, therefore, make it the first virtual analogue?

                              Questions, questions.... coffee....uhhhh

                              Paul
                            • Damon
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jun 20, 2004
                                --- In The-V-Group@yahoogroups.com, Paul Nagle <paul@s...> wrote:
                                > On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 07:44:46 +0200, Robert van der Kamp
                                > <robnet@w...> wrote:
                                >
                                > >I remember the D-50 as an *analog* synth, with optional
                                > >digital waveforms, mostly used for the attack. Never liked
                                > >the digital part of the D-50, but its pads were always very
                                > >warm (though noisy).
                                >
                                > So did I for a long time - until someone told me the D-50 was fully
                                > digital. Does this, therefore, make it the first virtual analogue?
                                >
                                > Questions, questions.... coffee....uhhhh
                                >
                                > Paul

                                I will see your coffee, and raise me a smoke, but not you a smoke, cause that would make
                                me a bad influence, so i shall smoke, and this in no way suggests that smoking is cool,
                                CAUGH! this has been a public service anouncement... HACK! CAUGH! WHEEZE....

                                SNORT,
                                Damon

                                Ps.
                                the D 50 card software is a very fine looking program, if i can figure out how to make it
                                work...
                              • marmaduke1012004
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jun 20, 2004
                                  Hello,

                                  If you referring to the Uniquest editor, I tried using it for all of
                                  one or two hours and couldn't get it to load banks in sysex (MIDI-OX)
                                  or midi file format. It seemed to only use Uniquest's own file format.
                                  I could be wrong here, and if I am, someone please post how to get it
                                  to open other file formats. Graphically, it looks like an attractive
                                  program.
                                  After unsuccessfully trying to load sysex and midi files, I lazily
                                  fell back on Emagic's SoundDiver editor, which allows me to open and
                                  save in midi, sysex, and SoundDiver librarian formats easily.
                                  It will load most (if not all) of the existing banks for the D-50.
                                  There is also another editor/librarian called "Sysex D-50".

                                  best regards,

                                  Larry
                                • Don Gothard
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jun 20, 2004
                                    In the Uniquest editor, On the menu go to Midi-> MidiX from disk to
                                    instrument and select your sysex file. I downloaded a bunch of D50 sysex
                                    files (although their extension is .d50) so I just had to change the Files
                                    of type drop down menu in the file selection window to all files *.*, select
                                    the .d50 file and it uploaded the bank.

                                    Don

                                  • marmaduke1012004
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jun 21, 2004