Re: [TGC] what guitars do you all play?

  • d_gassie
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 7, 2005
      47-year-old Newbie here… just signed up today so I'll post on this
      one.

      I've been playing for a year and am enjoying myself immensely! Can't
      play much but am making progress. Most of what I've learned has been
      from a wonderful group of folks over at the Strat List. My dream is
      to learn how to play the Blues but I love classic Rock as well.

      During this last year, I've been through a surprisingly large number
      of guitars, having bought and then sold, most of them. I've kept two
      and am waiting for a Fender Lite Ash Telecaster to come in by the end
      of next week. After that, there are two more guitars I'd like to buy
      sooner or later; A Gibson BluesHawk and Gibson Standard Les Paul. I
      don't have an acoustic either but would love to find one I like, is
      easy to play and won't melt my credit card.

      Right now I have…

      An Ibanez Artist with DiMarzio Evolution pups and a brass nut. Very
      nice sound, action and a real joy to play. It's a mahogany body with
      a maple cap so the sound is very much like that of an LP.

      An Epiphone Sheraton II in Ebony modified with Seymour Duncan Phat
      Cats (P90s) and a RS Guitarworks rewiring kit, including pup switch.
      The P90s go with this guitars character very well. Great sound and
      playability. Brass nut on this one too.

      Fender Blues Junior with JJ tubes, which at only 15 watts, is way too
      loud for my practice room. I'd love to get that saturated tube sound
      at a lower volume level and by using pedals, it's getting close to
      where I like it.

      Yamaha DG60fx solid-state amp. IMHO, really nice clean setting but
      nothing else is much use.

      You can see some of my gear here:
      http://public.fotki.com/dgassie/guitarras/epitele__before_and/

      =D
      Dan

      --- In The-Guitar-Cafe@yahoogroups.com, neil kelly <leni_lekly@y...>
      wrote:
      > nice gear tehre randy,
      >
      > I am a retired bass player! i still have some basses,
      > (my fav is my old precision) and a couple of valve
      > amps. -including a Goldentone bassmaster. from the
      > sixties.
      > My electrics; Mostly Gibsons, favs: 65 ES330, 66 Guild
      > StarfireIII,
      > but now I play more acoustic than anything:
      >
      > Martins and Gibsons: love em both.
      >
      > Favs: Original first year of HD28, A custom shop
      > 00-18, a beautiful vintage D12-35, Hummingbird, L-00.
      >
      > After all those years as a struggling Muzo, I feel
      > VERY LUCKY to have all these instruments in my studio.

      > Y! Messenger - Communicate in real time. Download now.
      > http://messenger.yahoo.com
    • Gene Deegan
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 8, 2005
        Hi I'm a "geezer" and a Newbie to this forum also. I've been playing over 20 years, and I'm just now getting serious after a 10 year period of little musical activity. I really like your collection, and I think you're doing a good thing exploring different instruments and styles as long as you can afford it. I particularly like the Ibanez Artist series - great solid body LP style and semi-hollow 335 style guitars. I had an AR350 "Super Edition" which I really liked, but I couldn't get used to the locking nut / tuner system with the Pro Roc R tremelo bridge (I don't really use the whammy bar). So I sold it and now I'm awaiting delivery on an AR500 with active EQ and tri-tone switches (coil-splitting and phase shifting). I've been doing the same thing as you in exploring guitars - buying and selling over the past two years - to try to develop my style and settle on some real "keepers." The keepers so far are a Martin HD-35 - great for flatpicking and strumming; a Breedlove J25 - great for fingerstyle, flatpicking and recording; a Burrell "ergonomic" acoustic/electric - very nice and easy to play hours on end; a 1989 Heritage 535 - better quality and tone than a Gibson 335 I bought and sold; a Hofner New President - classic jazzbox; and a Hofner Verythin John Stowell Signature in Antique Violin Finish - cross between a jazzbox and a 335. I'm hoping the Ibanez Artist AR500 solid body (mainly for blues) will round out my current collection of keepers. I'm currently gigging, jamming, open-micing and recording. I'm developing a web-site where I hope to post MP3's of some of my recordings soon.

        wrote:
        > nice gear tehre randy,
        >
        > I am a retired bass player! i still have some basses,
        > (my fav is my old precision) and a couple of valve
        > amps. -including a Goldentone bassmaster. from the
        > sixties.
        > My electrics; Mostly Gibsons, favs: 65 ES330, 66 Guild
        > StarfireIII,
        > but now I play more acoustic than anything:
        >
        > Martins and Gibsons: love em both.
        >
        > Favs: Original first year of HD28, A custom shop
        > 00-18, a beautiful vintage D12-35, Hummingbird, L-00.
        >
        > After all those years as a struggling Muzo, I feel
        > VERY LUCKY to have all these instruments in my studio.

        > Y! Messenger - Communicate in real time. Download now.
        > http://messenger.yahoo.com

        ---

          Please visit The Stage, located in our Files area, where you can hear the latest music from the cafe's patrons, or feel free to add your own!

        If you like The Guitar Cafe, plese visit our Bookmarks area where you'll find other lists and sites you might also enjoy.

        Questions or comments for the moderatrix?  Please send them to:  The-Guitar-Cafe-Owner@yahoogroups.com

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • d_gassie
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 9, 2005
          I hope you'll be happy with the AR500 you mentioned. Mine is an AR
          250, that even when new at the music store, felt terrific. A major
          downside was the nut but after having the brass one made for it, it
          was a radical change for the better.

          The AR 250 stays in tune for weeks at a time and is a joy to play. It
          responded very well to a neck and bridge adjustments. The original
          pups were alright but lacked the punch I wanted. I installed
          DiMarzios Evolution pickups (the Steve Vai model) and was worried it
          might not sound good but I was wrong. They work very well with this
          guitar and permit a wide range of adjustment. Another thing that
          changed the guitars feel was treating the fingerboard with linseed
          oil.

          I still plan on installing a tone pro bridge and an RS historic
          wiring kit like I did on the Sheraton. I realize these are not
          expensive hand built instruments and that puting money into them will
          not transform them into one of those, but it's fun to work on them
          and help them be, all they can be.

          Good luck with yours and I'd love to see pictures once you get it.

          Dan

          --- In The-Guitar-Cafe@yahoogroups.com, Gene Deegan

          Service.