Re: [TGC] soloing

  • SJMagri@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 19, 2003
      hi-- fairly new to soloing. what scales or patterns do you players use? i
      have been playing with minor pentatonic and blues scales for sometime. i find i
      use major scales much better but am curious if anyone has a link to any good
      tabs for scale patterns or if anyone can give some advice? thanks, Scott
    • Simon Allaway
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 19, 2003
        SJMagri@... wrote:
        > hi-- fairly new to soloing. what scales or patterns do you players use? i
        > have been playing with minor pentatonic and blues scales for sometime. i find i
        > use major scales much better but am curious if anyone has a link to any good
        > tabs for scale patterns or if anyone can give some advice? thanks, Scott

        I'd say you've started in the right place. In my experience, when
        starting out in soloing (all those years ago!), I tried to listen to as
        much music as I could and attempt to play along to it. That taught me a
        number of things. Firstly, it taught me to listen for and hear the key
        that the song was in and secondly to get a feel for the 'harmonic
        flavour' i.e. whether it was a major or minor etc.

        Doing this alot over the last twenty or so years has given me a good
        harmonic ear...you really get an innate feel for what to play and when
        without thinking about it too much. And you'd be suprised how far you
        can stretch a pentatonic minor so don't worry too much about knowing
        loads of scales right away.

        My 2 cents :o)

        Simon