Re: oppressed people

  • Pat Lyon
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 7, 2001
      Our ancestors were looking for opportunity to give their children a future.
      They hoped for themselves but understood the children were more likely to
      benefit. There was hardly any chance of that where they were at that point
      in time. I think that applies to many people from many times and places.
      When they are peace-loving, willing to become part of our culture (not
      giving up their own unique heritage and language) and willing to work for
      what they want, they make America stronger. Just as a combination of metals
      makes a stronger product, so does a combination of peoples, as long as they
      adhere and not divide among themselves.

      I think we have a responsibility to "teach other countries to fish" ( as the
      saying, "give a man a fish and he is fed for a day, teach him to fish and he
      is fed for a lifetime"). Then they can enjoy their lives in their unique
      culture and value system and not need to try to force us to be the way they
      wish their country could be, or try to bring us down to their level out of
      jealousy or anger. (I think in some ways even many domestic criminals are
      saying "see how I feel? See how it feels"... to be hungry, powerless,
      abused, whatever the underlying problem is).

      Yes, I'm a psych nurse. But these things deserve more thought than blind
      reaction.

      Pat Sommerfeld Lyon (mother Anna Victoria Urban, father Rinert F.
      Sommerfeld)
      patsroar@...
      Researching Maternal line from Moravia: Urban, Orsag/Orsak, Svach, Simik,
      Gaas, Vavra, Kunetka, Jarma, Prochaska, Vasku (Zbranek), Zapalac, Gabera,
      Malik, Bacak, Stasny, Ledvig/Ladwig/Ladeweg, Novak, Hubanek, Soukup, Cabron,
      Rejcek,Slovak, Kmiec, Tesar, possibly Mechal, et al