The Return of Chicken Feet

  • Susan Rektorik Henley
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 2, 2001
      >If ya want to stir something up, we might try to make some Chicken Soup with the feet and all ingredients.  Save a BIG bowl for Steve!<

      Most likely everyone has forgotten that I, in a way, started that whole chicken feet episode.  I, in earnest, offered to share chicken feet with those who were looking for them.  Instead, my offer was used to menace some of those who would really rather never ever see chicken feet unless, perhaps, on a live chicken.

      Because of all of that history, I have been quiet.  However,  I now raise Road Island Reds, Barred Plymouth Rocks, and Black Austrolorps.  These are all excellent layers as well as being good meat chickens.

      The Black Austrolorp is one of the old breeds and the hens are huge.  They are jet black with pine green highlights on the end of their feathers.  They also have bright red combs and wattles making them quite striking to look at.  In addition, they have extra large, dark-green legs and feet.  I just know they would add a lot of flavor and character to a homemade soup.  I have not butchered any of these hens as they are my young layers.

      However, should anyone--in earnest--need a good ground raised hen for a traditional soup for a special occasion, they can contact me.

      I really enjoyed hearing from Sir John, Lois, and Steve again.

      Susan

      P. S.  A certificate of testimony will be required to establish that the person receiving the chicken feet will not use them to harass or menace anyone else (smile)!
    • Mary Holy
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 2, 2001
        Susan
        You will not see me begging to clean any chickens.  That has never been one of my favorite things to do.  Just last week (after my Mom and Dad begged and begged and begged) I went over to my mom's to clean a dozen roasters..  My dad chopped the heads, then we got to hold them things till they quit jerking. Boy, where they some heavy roasters.  Haven't made any to eat yet.  It takes me awhile after butchering that I decide to serve chicken. Mom was glad to get them butchered, and I told her that if they quit hatching them things, she wouldn't have to be cleaning them all the time.  Her freezer she says is full of chicken.  They will not starve for a couple of winters, for what she cans, butchers and puts in that freezers.

        I love my old chickens that I have.  They are the same kind of breeds that you have.  They have so many different pretty colors.  They are excellent layers, that is when you don't have any chicken snakes getting the eggs.  I even have a 8x10 picture, that I took off my chickens, hanging in the dining room.  They will die of old age, before I butcher them.

        Mary (Soukup) Holy

        Because of all of that history, I have been quiet.  However,  I now raise Road Island Reds, Barred Plymouth Rocks, and Black Austrolorps.  These are all excellent layers as well as being good meat chickens.

        However, should anyone--in earnest--need a good ground raised hen for a traditional soup for a special occasion, they can contact me.

      • Melinda Sims
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 2, 2001
          Hi, Susan,

          Do you have any pictures of these chickens that you could post?  They do sound very striking and regal.

          Thanks,

          Melinda Sims
          Svetlik, Otto, Benes, Peter(s)

        • salvarez@pcai.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 2, 2001
            Here we go again.

            For the record once again. I am not going to eat chicken feet and I
            am not going to eat any soup from anyone who raises chickens. I
            ain't taken chances. (grin)

            posting from work.
            Steve Alvarez
          • John L. Mikeska
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 2, 2001
              Susan,

              Guess some never saw the chicken feet in the soup, because grandma kept a lid on the pot!

              I was unaware of the Black Austrolorp chickens.  Your description of their details sound like they are nice looking chickens, in addition to have a good taste.

              Sir John
              Sent: Friday, November 02, 2001 2:52 PM

              >If ya want to stir something up, we might try to make some Chicken Soup with the feet and all ingredients.  Save a BIG bowl for Steve!<

            • Debbie
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 2, 2001
                I agree with Steve.  It was interesting to find out that people actually eat it but not ME!

                Debbie