Ocker Brethern Cem. in Bell Co.,TX

  • darlenbaker@cs.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 2001
      Some of you may have already found this site.

      But those of you that haven't, here is something to look at.

      http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/tx/bell/cemetery/ocker.txt

      Darlene Baker
    • george patrick
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 2, 2001
        Hi Darlene,

        Thanks for the Ocker Cemetery reference.  I've been in touch with a distant cousin for the past few months.  she has done a comprehensive  history of one branch of the Stepan tree.  Looks like about half of my Stepan relatives are buried there.

        Uncle John and Aunt Lucy Stepan from Zabcikville are buried there.  He was the one who founded the Ocker Luthern Church.  My dad was born in their home in 1909.

        Frank and Mary (Stepan) Petrek--my grandparents-- are buried there, also.  Mary was John Stepan's sister and the daughter of Martin and Marie (Zabcik) Stepan--who are also buried their.  Marie was from the Zabcik family from Zabcikville.

        A while back, I ask for help with the "Johnitta Bartek" Mystery.  She is also buried there!  The Ocker Cemetery records just seem to deepen the mystery, though.  Great grandfather Martin Stepan was born in 1859 and died in 1935 and his wife, Marie, was born in 1860 and died in 1968--living to be 108 years old.  According to the cemetery records, Johnitta Shirley Bartek died as an infant in 1932.  Since she was buried somewhat inside the Martin Stepan burial place, I would assume she had some relationship to him.  Martin would have been 74 or so when Johnitta was born and died and Marie Stepan who lived to be 108 must have been still going strong at that time.

        I am taking the advice of the group and not making any sort of rash conclusions without all of the facts.  But, somewhere in the back of my mind I have to be thinking that I am only 65 and the Good Lord only knows what my great grandfather was doing when he was 65!!

        Ain't genealogy fun?

        God Bless and thanks again.

        George