Re: [TexasCzechs] What does KJZT mean and.....

  • Richard Garza
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 26, 2001
      Hi Ray,
      You're right. The KJZT (Ceska Rimsko-Katolicka Jednota Zen
      Texaskych = Czech Roman Catholic Aid Union of Women in Texas) was founded
      in Yoakum in 1897 with the merger of two women's benevolent societies,
      one in Hallettsville and the other in Yoakum. Up to that point, women
      were not allowed to be members of fraternal mutual aid societies, which,
      of course, is one of the reasons for the split of the Texas units of the
      CSPS to form the SPJST.
      The men's Catholic organization is the Katolicka Jednota Texaska
      (Czech Catholic Union of Texas), founded at Hostyn in 1889, also as a
      breakaway from the national organization (First Roman Catholic something
      or other - can't find my notes) and headquartered in Indiana (I believe).
      The KJT is now headquartered in La Grange and the KJZT is headquartered
      in Austin.
      There's an alphabet soup of Czech benevolent societies formed in
      Texas by our ancestors - WFLA, CNS, CSPS, ZCBJ, IRKUJ, etc., etc. Some
      were for farmers, others for city dwellers; some for Catholics, others
      for Protestants and Freethinkers. And, yes, as they say: if you have two
      Czechs you have three clubs. <g>
      Rick Garza
      Sharing. It's what it's all about!
      http://www.texasczechs.homestead.com/

      .
      On Fri, 26 Oct 2001 08:34:00 -0500 "RAY J. BACAK" <rjbacak@...>
      writes:
      > Understand that the Z is for Zenska (sp?), which means the women's
      > arm of the society. Think they may have merged into one as the KJT.
      GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.