RE: [TexasCzechs] Hope books

  • Leroy Janda
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 26, 2001
      Welcome Back,

      Did you and Lad have a good time?
      Leroy

      -----Original Message-----
      From: tjslansky [mailto:tjslansky@...]
      Sent: Friday, October 26, 2001 8:43 AM
      To: TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [TexasCzechs] Hope books

      Members.

      I just purchased both volumes of "The Pilgrims of Hope" by Dr. Josef
      Simicek.

      Just returned from visiting him and his museum in Lichnov on Oct. 9th.

      Dr. Simicek was kind to sign and date both books. Plus, have a photo of him
      and I.

      We looked for information on my GGmother Annie Martis, he had two other
      Martis ladies listed, which I had found before.

      Dr. Simicek does not have an e-mail address. He plans to retire from his
      medical practice at the end of this year.

      In another posting it is mentioned, you can purchase the books from the Ft.
      Bend Heritage group.

      Vol. I has information on my mother's family the Stepan and Kahanek from
      Vlcovice. I took pictures of my grandfather at house #53 and my
      grandmother at house # 6. Luckily, they were only the same street a 1/2
      mile apart. The house numbers are not in any order.

      Found a person, who was married to a Kahanek; which I found out, almost
      everyone in the village was related to a Kahanek name. This person took me
      to a local historian, who had a list of the old house numbers and who live
      their presently.

      Vol. II, has information on a uncle by marriage. While in Frenstat, I
      visited the local cemetery and spoke with the Head caretaker and he told me
      of a person with the same name. He called the person and with the
      information from the book I had, it was a half brother (82 yrs of age) to my
      uncle. The caretaker took me to meet the person and his 27 yr. old
      granddaughter; we had an enjoyable conversation in my very little Czech.

      This man had not heard any information about or from his brother since 1921.
      The man was very happy to found out about his brother's family

      Even, it was not my direct relation, I felt very good about this find.

      It is great to be able to find this recorded information.

      TJ Slansky
      San Antonio, TX

      Surnames: SLANSKY/BOROS HAVRAN/MARTIS STEPAN/KAHANEK

      Glibert

      This is a letter Leo Baca sent awhile back. I do know, it seems at every
      genealogy conference the books are there for sale. Look for your next CHS
      chapter meeting and ask if they are going to be selling books.

      My folks came from the Frenstat/Trojanovice area so I would be interested in
      data from Volume II. Don't think Volume I would help me. Where did you get
      the book? Maybe I could get Volume II from the same place.

      Thanks.

      Gilbert Bohuslav

      <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=213858.1650662.3186813.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050408
      37:HM/A=763352/R=0/*http://www.classmates.com/index.tf?s=5085>

      <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=213858.1650662.3186813.1261774/D=egroupmai
      l/S=1705040837:HM/A=763352/rand=129164589>

      <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .