Czech Ghost Stories

  • Anita Berka
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2, 2001
      Well, gang. It is officially "Halloween" season, so thought I'd check
      and see if anyone has any good Czech ghost stories. I'll start:

      The only one I know, which really isn't very scary, is one my Grannie
      told my Dad and his brothers and sisters when they were kids. It was
      the Strasidlo (with a carka over the second "s" for an sch sound). My
      Dad says when my Grannie wanted the kids to stay out of some place, she
      used to tell them not to go there because the Strasidlo would get them.
      It was some kind of phantom that would drag kids in the water or
      something. My Dad said it worked; there were places the Strasidlo was
      supposed to be and they gave it a wide berth. :-)

      If anyone has any better stories on this guy, please share!

      Who's next?

      Anita Berka
      (Researching Urban, Vavra, Berka, Klipage)
    • RAY J. BACAK
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 3, 2001
        Have a friend now living in England. He indicates that the very same goal
        contributed to the fable of the Loch Ness Monster.

      • a1a2@gvtc.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 3, 2001
          My dad tells me that his mother told he and siblings about the
          Hasterman (not spelled correctly)I believe it was a water sprite. At
          the SPJST Museum in Temple there is a Hasterman puppet. Gruesome green
          creature.

          Veronica Valenta Camarillo