Mary: Tombstone help

  • Steve Alvarez
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 2, 2001
      Thanks Mary

      Once again the group has come through for me.  I guess I need to go and buy me a Polish  dictionary.  I have German and Czech books, but no Polish dictionary.  And I would have not thought of looking in a Polish dictionary, so my hat is off to you for thinking to look there.

      I spent twenty minutes on her tombstone, running my fingers through the grooves. Looking at it in different directions, so the sunlight would hit it at a different angle.  Plus using pencil and paper to trace the words trying to figure out the letters. And this I was willing to do  for a person who is not even related to me. Even then I was half guessing with the words. I  am glad I was on target, it makes me feel my efforts were worth it.

      I am going to have to go back out there to take pictures of the older tombstones because I noticed, once more vandals had destroyed at least 5 of the tombstones by knocking off the crosses.  I think one tombstone was completely remove because there was a piece of concrete at ground level which looked like the base of a tombstone.  It was right next to a tombstone that had a cross knocked off it.  All this has increased my resolve to document the tombstones with photos.

      Once again, Thanks

      God Bless
      Steve Alvarez
      salvarez@...
      http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~alvarez/
      Zaruba, Lastovica, Pavlicek

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 2, 2001
        Steve,

        Glad you concur.  I thought I recognized those words when I saw your message and then I looked them up just to make sure.

        Just as there were many German people living in the border areas of the Czech lands down through the years, so too have many Germans lived in the border areas of Poland.  And the boundaries have also changed.  My mother's family originates in such an area and I have translated many Polish documents in researching this line.  The family never learned Polish, but Polish was the official language and all the records were kept in Polish.  You never know just what you are going to get into when you start this genealogy business.

        It does wonders for the mind.

        Mary Heard

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 2, 2001
          Just for grins I checked my Czech dictionary and couldn't find any of
          those words, so it's good there's somebody with some Polish in 'em with
          a dictionary.

          Anita Berka
        • Jan
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 3, 2001
            Absolutely amazing what people will do.  Never though about it, but that's a good idea to document a cemetery by photos.
            Jan