Re: Tombstone help

  • Matt
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2001
      I have the LDS Genealogical Word Lists for both German and Czech and
      did not find it anywhere either.

      --- In TexasCzechs@y..., "Steve Alvarez" <salvarez@p...> wrote:
      > Hi gang
      >
      > I am on the downhill side of the Frydek Cemetery. I am stuck on
      one tombstone and thought maybe someone on this list could help.

      > This is the best I could do on reading a faded tombstone.
      >
      > Olga Bedynek Urodz 31 Grud. 1896 Uma 15 Czer. 1897
      >
      > I can't seem to find the words in any of my reference notes.
      >
      > Steve
    • Steve Alvarez
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2001
        Thanks guys

        Will I guess I will try and re-check the tombstone and then just put what is there.

        Steve Alvarez

        I have the LDS Genealogical Word Lists for both German and Czech and
        did not find it anywhere either.

        --- In TexasCzechs@y..., "Steve Alvarez" <salvarez@p...> wrote:
        > Hi gang
        >
        > I am on the downhill side of the Frydek Cemetery.  I am stuck on
        one tombstone and thought maybe someone on this list could help.

        > This is the best I could do on reading a faded tombstone.
        >
        > Olga Bedynek  Urodz 31 Grud. 1896    Uma 15 Czer.  1897
        >
        > I can't seem to find the words in any of my reference notes.
        >
        > Steve

      • Mary J. Heard
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 2, 2001
          Steve,

          My Polish dictionaries list the following:

          Urodz, short for urodzia (urodzin) =  birth
                                                urodzic (sie) = (to be) born
          Grud., an abbreviation for grudzien (grudnia) = December
          Uma, short for umarl (with a slash through the "L") =  (has) died
          Czer., an abbreviation for czerwiec (czerwea) = June

          Interestingly enough, the Polish language, like some others, does not capitalize the names of the months unless they are used to begin a sentence.

          Hope this helps.

          Mary Heard