Re: [TexasCzechs] Tombstone help

  • Richard Garza
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2001
      Hi Steve,
      Doesn't look like Czech but another Slavic language. The month
      for the death date could be June or July, Cerven or Cervenec. I can't
      picture a Czech month that starts out with the "Grud".
      Rick Garza

      On Mon, 1 Oct 2001 22:15:28 -0500 "Steve Alvarez" <salvarez@...>
      writes:
      Hi gang
      This is the best I could do on reading a faded tombstone.

      Olga Bedynek Urodz 31 Grud. 1896 Uma 15 Czer. 1897
      GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
    • Matt
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2001
        I have the LDS Genealogical Word Lists for both German and Czech and
        did not find it anywhere either.

        --- In TexasCzechs@y..., "Steve Alvarez" <salvarez@p...> wrote:
        > Hi gang
        >
        > I am on the downhill side of the Frydek Cemetery. I am stuck on
        one tombstone and thought maybe someone on this list could help.

        > This is the best I could do on reading a faded tombstone.
        >
        > Olga Bedynek Urodz 31 Grud. 1896 Uma 15 Czer. 1897
        >
        > I can't seem to find the words in any of my reference notes.
        >
        > Steve
      • Steve Alvarez
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2001
          Thanks guys

          Will I guess I will try and re-check the tombstone and then just put what is there.

          Steve Alvarez

          I have the LDS Genealogical Word Lists for both German and Czech and
          did not find it anywhere either.

          --- In TexasCzechs@y..., "Steve Alvarez" <salvarez@p...> wrote:
          > Hi gang
          >
          > I am on the downhill side of the Frydek Cemetery.  I am stuck on
          one tombstone and thought maybe someone on this list could help.

          > This is the best I could do on reading a faded tombstone.
          >
          > Olga Bedynek  Urodz 31 Grud. 1896    Uma 15 Czer.  1897
          >
          > I can't seem to find the words in any of my reference notes.
          >
          > Steve

        • Mary J. Heard
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 2, 2001
            Steve,

            My Polish dictionaries list the following:

            Urodz, short for urodzia (urodzin) =  birth
                                                  urodzic (sie) = (to be) born
            Grud., an abbreviation for grudzien (grudnia) = December
            Uma, short for umarl (with a slash through the "L") =  (has) died
            Czer., an abbreviation for czerwiec (czerwea) = June

            Interestingly enough, the Polish language, like some others, does not capitalize the names of the months unless they are used to begin a sentence.

            Hope this helps.

            Mary Heard