Tombstone help

  • Steve Alvarez
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2001
      Hi gang

      I am on the downhill side of the Frydek Cemetery.  I am stuck on one tombstone and thought maybe someone on this list could help.

      This is the best I could do on reading a faded tombstone.

      Olga Bedynek  Urodz 31 Grud. 1896    Uma 15 Czer.  1897

      I can't seem to find the words in any of my reference notes.

      Steve
    • Richard Garza
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2001
        Hi Steve,
        Doesn't look like Czech but another Slavic language. The month
        for the death date could be June or July, Cerven or Cervenec. I can't
        picture a Czech month that starts out with the "Grud".
        Rick Garza

        On Mon, 1 Oct 2001 22:15:28 -0500 "Steve Alvarez" <salvarez@...>
        writes:
        Hi gang
        This is the best I could do on reading a faded tombstone.

        Olga Bedynek Urodz 31 Grud. 1896 Uma 15 Czer. 1897
        GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
        http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
      • Matt
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2001
          I have the LDS Genealogical Word Lists for both German and Czech and
          did not find it anywhere either.

          --- In TexasCzechs@y..., "Steve Alvarez" <salvarez@p...> wrote:
          > Hi gang
          >
          > I am on the downhill side of the Frydek Cemetery. I am stuck on
          one tombstone and thought maybe someone on this list could help.

          > This is the best I could do on reading a faded tombstone.
          >
          > Olga Bedynek Urodz 31 Grud. 1896 Uma 15 Czer. 1897
          >
          > I can't seem to find the words in any of my reference notes.
          >
          > Steve
        • Steve Alvarez
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 1, 2001
            Thanks guys

            Will I guess I will try and re-check the tombstone and then just put what is there.

            Steve Alvarez

            I have the LDS Genealogical Word Lists for both German and Czech and
            did not find it anywhere either.

            --- In TexasCzechs@y..., "Steve Alvarez" <salvarez@p...> wrote:
            > Hi gang
            >
            > I am on the downhill side of the Frydek Cemetery.  I am stuck on
            one tombstone and thought maybe someone on this list could help.

            > This is the best I could do on reading a faded tombstone.
            >
            > Olga Bedynek  Urodz 31 Grud. 1896    Uma 15 Czer.  1897
            >
            > I can't seem to find the words in any of my reference notes.
            >
            > Steve

          • Mary J. Heard
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 2, 2001
              Steve,

              My Polish dictionaries list the following:

              Urodz, short for urodzia (urodzin) =  birth
                                                    urodzic (sie) = (to be) born
              Grud., an abbreviation for grudzien (grudnia) = December
              Uma, short for umarl (with a slash through the "L") =  (has) died
              Czer., an abbreviation for czerwiec (czerwea) = June

              Interestingly enough, the Polish language, like some others, does not capitalize the names of the months unless they are used to begin a sentence.

              Hope this helps.

              Mary Heard