Re: [TexasCzechs] Rain, Rain go away!!

  • Susan Rektorik Henley
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 1, 2001
      Darlene,

      Can you beat my 12.5 inches?

      I can verify my reading because two local farmers have their gauges at the end of my driveway.  They come empty them at least twice a day.  Also, this afternoon I found a full size wash tub out in the middle of the yard at my Dad's house.  It was full to the top.

      Also just realized that that lightening strike that I though was real close actually took out the (hopefully just ) the fuses in the well house.  If not, it burned out both the well pump and the pressure pump.

      Susan

    • Susan Rektorik Henley
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 1, 2001
        Mary,

        I was saddened to hear you still have cotton in the field.  How far north are you?

        Our cotton was out by the end of July.  Fields are plowed and sub-soiled...ready for the rains.

        I forgot how the time of harvest varies across Texas.

        My thoughts and prayers will be dry your area out.  Where are you?

        Susan
      • darlenbaker@cs.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 1, 2001
          I don't know what we have had.

          Probably not as much as that.  Just know that we have had enough.  I think it
          to be awful for those folks just recovering from Allison and have to start
          all over.

          One man had new carpet just put in like 32 hours ago (this morning news).
          Just awful-- and of course those with crops and such in the fields.

          Rain effects everyone.

          darlene
        • John L. Mikeska
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 1, 2001
            George,

            Will it make you feel a little younger if I told you I graduated (maybe kicked out) in 1948?  I've got a few years on you as I did not graduate as a child prodigy at age of 8 years old.  <G>

            Sir John
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 1, 2001
              Darlene,

              Please don't think I am trying to be mean. I am earnest.  What crops are in the field?  Cotton?  Not, milo too?

              I am concerned because I did not realize folks still had crops in.

              Our milo came out around Memorial Day...a little early...we ate some drying charges because we feared more would "lodge" due to the drought.  Cotton was out, moved and ginned by the end of July.

              It is real, heart-felt concern that I feel.  I did not realize that crops were still in the field.

              Susan
            • darlenbaker@cs.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 2, 2001
                Well I think here most have gotten it out already.  But from anothers email I
                think they still had cotton outthere.

                Our waters are receding.  I think we are taking a chance heading to my gmas
                in Bila Hora.

                "See" you guys tommorrow.

                No offense on the rain Susan.  I really don't know how much we got. I don't
                have a rain gauge.

                Darlene Baker

                Researching:
                mine:
                Rokyta, Barton, Balusek, Melnar, Coufal, Dusek,Marek, Kotrla,Krizak, Krizek,
                Pustejovsky, Michna, Valchar, Machac, Trlica, Janus or Janous, Sugarek,
                Mikulencak, Michalik,  and who knows how many more??

                His:  Baker, Dunn, Worrell, Peeples, Maynard, Tucker, Smith, Hancock,
                Bundrant, Roberts, Blakey, Porch

                My Page:
                http://txhsh.homestead.com/home.html
                http://www.geocities.com/dbaker225/Welcome.html
                http://www.geocities.com/texasczechs2001/familyties.html ---new family ties
                site.

                http://www.angelfire.com/folk/czechfamily/index.html-- my personal site
              • george patrick
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 2, 2001
                  John,

                  Age, they say, is just a state of mind.  However, the they who say that, are probably not as old as you and I.  But, I'm still having fun.  From reading your stuff, it appears that you are too.

                  God Bless the old folks,