Rain/cotton

  • Steve Alvarez
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1 9:10 AM
      Mary

      I hope things get better for you.  I find it interesting of the troubles we go through in each of our own little worlds.  I never just stopped and thought about how rain could effect the growing of cotton, the future of next years crops and the harvesting of cotton.   I buy my cotton in the form of shirts, pants etc etc.  I know farmers grow the cotton. Yet I never thought of it further then that.
      By you expressing your concerns, it also gives me insight to the problems our ancestors my have had.

      Thanks for sharing.

      God Bless
      Steve Alvarez
      salvarez@...
      http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~alvarez/
      Zaruba, Lastovica, Pavlicek

      If anyone wants any rain they can come and get it.  We have had way past our share of it.  Being cotton farmers, this is not what you want during cotton harvest.  This is the first time in 25 years of farming that I can remember having this much rain so early in the cotton harvest.  We have some cotton that has been under water.  It is kind of a wait and see situation.  All of the cotton is in a wait and see situation.  If it doesn't sunshine soon, the seed will start to sprout in the burr, making the seed no good.  Also the more it rains the more cotton lint disappears, making less cotton when harvested.  Cotton is one plant that cannot take the heavy rains, when it is time to harvest.  We have crop insurance which will help out a little bit.  I would have preferred it not rain till about the middle of October, then they would have been through with the harvest.
      Hope all of you have a great, safe Labor Day weekend.
      Mary Holy

    • Mary Holy
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 6 6:29 PM

        I am slow in getting back to you about cotton.  I grew up on the farm, which we had cotton.  We have grown corn and cotton most of our farming life.  Our two big crops, with corn being harvested in July and some of August, then turn around and start the cotton harvest.  Of course the cotton harvest takes longer cause of the dampness in the air, can stop you from harvesting.

        We live about 5 miles south of Waco.  We have received a total of 10.4 inches since the rain started August 26 at our house.  One of the places that we work that is about 10 miles south of us, got about 16 inches of rain.  We will probably try to still harvest some of it.  The cottonseed has already sprouted in the burr.  Have to wait till it dries out and dies before we can harvest.  It is a wait and see time.  We will have to tighten our belts for another year and cut back on somethings.

        Usually we are finished around the end of September.  My husband and his three brothers help each other harvest the crop.  That means four machines running in the fields at once.  Between all of them they usually have over 3000 acres of cotton.  Now you see why I would rather it not rain till late October.

        I would like to share with you the price that we receive for the cotton.  The going rate this year is about 35 cents a pound.  Someone out there is making a killing on cotton, cause you know what you pay for a pair of pants or shirt, ect, that is made out of cotton, and it sure not the farmer.

        Thanks for listening to me.
        Mary Holy
[...]

      • Susan Rektorik Henley
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 6 7:02 PM
          Mary,

          Funny (not really) that you should mention the price of cotton.  My brother and I were commenting  hat cotton prices are where they were was back in the 1930's and think how expenses have gone up!  (I know, you know only too well!)

          That brings up another farmer's adage:  Prices are never high when the crop yield is good!

          Even worse is when you have a bad year, such as this one, and prices are still low!

          Susan