Re: [TexasCzechs] Rain, Rain go away!!

  • george patrick
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 1, 2001
      Hi Darlene,

      I saw your mention of Port Lavaca and couldn't help but reply.  I grew up in Port Lavaca, graduated High school in '54, joined the military shortly thereafter, and have only returned to visit friends and relatives who (some of whom) still live  there.
      That's a brief bio of me.  I knew a bunch of folks in Six Mile and drank a few beers at some dances there.  Its been a while, so I'm sorry to say that I can't remember any Bakers.  Maybe you are much younger than I.  It wouldn't surprise me--everyone else in the world seems to be.

      Just to prove that I am who I say I am, I'll ask you if "Leroy" got out okay .  If so, tell him I ask about him.

      I look forward to talking with you about common interest.

      God Bless,

      George "Frankie" Patrick

      PS  I was born "Petrek", just to let you know I'm a good Czech boy.
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 1, 2001
        Darlene,

        Can you beat my 12.5 inches?

        I can verify my reading because two local farmers have their gauges at the end of my driveway.  They come empty them at least twice a day.  Also, this afternoon I found a full size wash tub out in the middle of the yard at my Dad's house.  It was full to the top.

        Also just realized that that lightening strike that I though was real close actually took out the (hopefully just ) the fuses in the well house.  If not, it burned out both the well pump and the pressure pump.

        Susan

      • Susan Rektorik Henley
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 1, 2001
          Mary,

          I was saddened to hear you still have cotton in the field.  How far north are you?

          Our cotton was out by the end of July.  Fields are plowed and sub-soiled...ready for the rains.

          I forgot how the time of harvest varies across Texas.

          My thoughts and prayers will be dry your area out.  Where are you?

          Susan
        • darlenbaker@cs.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 1, 2001
            I don't know what we have had.

            Probably not as much as that.  Just know that we have had enough.  I think it
            to be awful for those folks just recovering from Allison and have to start
            all over.

            One man had new carpet just put in like 32 hours ago (this morning news).
            Just awful-- and of course those with crops and such in the fields.

            Rain effects everyone.

            darlene
          • John L. Mikeska
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 1, 2001
              George,

              Will it make you feel a little younger if I told you I graduated (maybe kicked out) in 1948?  I've got a few years on you as I did not graduate as a child prodigy at age of 8 years old.  <G>

              Sir John

              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 1, 2001
                Darlene,

                Please don't think I am trying to be mean. I am earnest.  What crops are in the field?  Cotton?  Not, milo too?

                I am concerned because I did not realize folks still had crops in.

                Our milo came out around Memorial Day...a little early...we ate some drying charges because we feared more would "lodge" due to the drought.  Cotton was out, moved and ginned by the end of July.

                It is real, heart-felt concern that I feel.  I did not realize that crops were still in the field.

                Susan
              • darlenbaker@cs.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 2, 2001
                  Well I think here most have gotten it out already.  But from anothers email I
                  think they still had cotton outthere.

                  Our waters are receding.  I think we are taking a chance heading to my gmas
                  in Bila Hora.

                  "See" you guys tommorrow.

                  No offense on the rain Susan.  I really don't know how much we got. I don't
                  have a rain gauge.

                  Darlene Baker

                  Researching:
                  mine:
                  Rokyta, Barton, Balusek, Melnar, Coufal, Dusek,Marek, Kotrla,Krizak, Krizek,
                  Pustejovsky, Michna, Valchar, Machac, Trlica, Janus or Janous, Sugarek,
                  Mikulencak, Michalik,  and who knows how many more??

                  His:  Baker, Dunn, Worrell, Peeples, Maynard, Tucker, Smith, Hancock,
                  Bundrant, Roberts, Blakey, Porch

                  My Page:
                  http://txhsh.homestead.com/home.html
                  http://www.geocities.com/dbaker225/Welcome.html
                  http://www.geocities.com/texasczechs2001/familyties.html ---new family ties
                  site.

                  http://www.angelfire.com/folk/czechfamily/index.html-- my personal site
                • george patrick
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 2, 2001
                    John,

                    Age, they say, is just a state of mind.  However, the they who say that, are probably not as old as you and I.  But, I'm still having fun.  From reading your stuff, it appears that you are too.

                    God Bless the old folks,