Re: [TexasCzechs] Rain, Rain go away!!

  • Lois Pereira
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 1 9:01 AM
      Sometimes the insurance doesn't help either. My daughter has yet to
      collect a dime. They want receipts for everything, even things that were
      a gift. At least FEMA is buying her house so she has to hang on another
      30 days and find a new house. I feel sorry for the people in Texas
      City,Friendswood and Pearland. I have been watching the news and they
      had gotten their settlements and had already started working on their
      houses and now are back at square one.........lois

      miladyolga@... wrote:

      > At least you have crop insurance that will help a bit. Think of those
      > people
      > in the Houston area who already suffered back in June with a
      > tremendous loss
      > to their homes. Some still haven't completed the repairs from that
      > flood and
      > here they are again. Alot of these don't even have flood insurance.
      > Total
      > loss. Sure, I'm tired of the rain but we must go on. There are some
      > things
      > that MAN still can't control. Try and survive this and be positive.
      > STAY
      > DRY!!!!
      >
      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      Start here...

      Height:
      345678ft 01234567891011in

      Weight:
      lbs.kg.

      Lois Petter Pereira
    • george patrick
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 1 9:17 AM
        Hi Darlene,

        I saw your mention of Port Lavaca and couldn't help but reply.  I grew up in Port Lavaca, graduated High school in '54, joined the military shortly thereafter, and have only returned to visit friends and relatives who (some of whom) still live  there.
        That's a brief bio of me.  I knew a bunch of folks in Six Mile and drank a few beers at some dances there.  Its been a while, so I'm sorry to say that I can't remember any Bakers.  Maybe you are much younger than I.  It wouldn't surprise me--everyone else in the world seems to be.

        Just to prove that I am who I say I am, I'll ask you if "Leroy" got out okay .  If so, tell him I ask about him.

        I look forward to talking with you about common interest.

        God Bless,

        George "Frankie" Patrick

        PS  I was born "Petrek", just to let you know I'm a good Czech boy.
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 1 1:02 PM
          Darlene,

          Can you beat my 12.5 inches?

          I can verify my reading because two local farmers have their gauges at the end of my driveway.  They come empty them at least twice a day.  Also, this afternoon I found a full size wash tub out in the middle of the yard at my Dad's house.  It was full to the top.

          Also just realized that that lightening strike that I though was real close actually took out the (hopefully just ) the fuses in the well house.  If not, it burned out both the well pump and the pressure pump.

          Susan

        • Susan Rektorik Henley
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 1 1:06 PM
            Mary,

            I was saddened to hear you still have cotton in the field.  How far north are you?

            Our cotton was out by the end of July.  Fields are plowed and sub-soiled...ready for the rains.

            I forgot how the time of harvest varies across Texas.

            My thoughts and prayers will be dry your area out.  Where are you?

            Susan
          • darlenbaker@cs.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 1 2:27 PM
              I don't know what we have had.

              Probably not as much as that.  Just know that we have had enough.  I think it
              to be awful for those folks just recovering from Allison and have to start
              all over.

              One man had new carpet just put in like 32 hours ago (this morning news).
              Just awful-- and of course those with crops and such in the fields.

              Rain effects everyone.

              darlene
            • John L. Mikeska
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 1 2:50 PM
                George,

                Will it make you feel a little younger if I told you I graduated (maybe kicked out) in 1948?  I've got a few years on you as I did not graduate as a child prodigy at age of 8 years old.  <G>

                Sir John

                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 1 8:00 PM
                  Darlene,

                  Please don't think I am trying to be mean. I am earnest.  What crops are in the field?  Cotton?  Not, milo too?

                  I am concerned because I did not realize folks still had crops in.

                  Our milo came out around Memorial Day...a little early...we ate some drying charges because we feared more would "lodge" due to the drought.  Cotton was out, moved and ginned by the end of July.

                  It is real, heart-felt concern that I feel.  I did not realize that crops were still in the field.

                  Susan
                • darlenbaker@cs.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 2 5:14 AM
                    Well I think here most have gotten it out already.  But from anothers email I
                    think they still had cotton outthere.

                    Our waters are receding.  I think we are taking a chance heading to my gmas
                    in Bila Hora.

                    "See" you guys tommorrow.

                    No offense on the rain Susan.  I really don't know how much we got. I don't
                    have a rain gauge.

                    Darlene Baker

                    Researching:
                    mine:
                    Rokyta, Barton, Balusek, Melnar, Coufal, Dusek,Marek, Kotrla,Krizak, Krizek,
                    Pustejovsky, Michna, Valchar, Machac, Trlica, Janus or Janous, Sugarek,
                    Mikulencak, Michalik,  and who knows how many more??

                    His:  Baker, Dunn, Worrell, Peeples, Maynard, Tucker, Smith, Hancock,
                    Bundrant, Roberts, Blakey, Porch

                    My Page:
                    http://txhsh.homestead.com/home.html
                    http://www.geocities.com/dbaker225/Welcome.html
                    http://www.geocities.com/texasczechs2001/familyties.html ---new family ties
                    site.

                    http://www.angelfire.com/folk/czechfamily/index.html-- my personal site
                  • george patrick
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 2 4:58 PM
                      John,

                      Age, they say, is just a state of mind.  However, the they who say that, are probably not as old as you and I.  But, I'm still having fun.  From reading your stuff, it appears that you are too.

                      God Bless the old folks,