TexasCzechs maintenance

  • Richard Garza
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 30, 2001
      Hi Jan,
      Nothing to worry about. Just one of those little family
      squabbles, like: "Mommy, Johnny's eating all the kolaches before Sunday
      dinner!" You know the type. It, too, will blow over.
      As to list owners, rules, etc., I'll tell you what little I know.
      Back in the dark ages, about 1996 or 1997, Frank Mikula and Patrick Janis
      presented an idea to the CHS' (Czech Heritage Society) Executive
      Committee. Part of the idea was to set up an Internet-based mailing list
      where folks could discuss Texas Czech-related topics. The CHS said "go to
      it" and the first list was set up on listbot.com. Patrick made the
      application for a mail server to listbot.com and the TexasCzechs list was
      born.
      Volunteers were called for to help in the maintenance of the
      list. A few folks stepped up to the plate and said they didn't know too
      much about computers or the Internet but would be willing to learn. In
      the meantime, the list began to grow. Messages regarding the hunt for
      ancestors, a few good recipes, info on traditions, etc., flew through the
      airwaves (the WWW in this case) like mad.
      Patrick wisely determined that listbot.com had it's limitations.
      What if someone wanted to post an ancestral photo, or a picture of those
      luxurious <g> ocean liners our ancestors used to get across the sea to
      Amerika? What if someone wanted to post a GEDcom file for others to
      peruse? Listbot didn't allow attachments and there was no place to create
      a database for immigrants or a place for posting files. What to do!
      Patrick searched high and low and came across eGroups.com. The membership
      list was transferred to eGroups.com and the TexasCzechs list prospered.
      More members were discovering they had family connections to each other
      and were able to compare trees and photos right in their email. And the
      volunteers continued to do what they could to help members in maintaining
      their subscriptions in working order. Simple things, like helping someone
      subscribe or unsubscribe; clear bouncing mail or teaching someone how to
      cut and paste.
      Then Yahoo! came along and saw that eGroups had lots of lists
      with lots of folks discussing lots of different things. So Yahoo! said to
      itself: "I think I'll buy eGroups and merge it with my other passports to
      the WWW. The name of the hosting service changed to Yahoogroups.com but
      everything else remained the same. We're still TexasCzechs.
      What of Patrick & Frank. Well, Frank went on to become president
      of the CHS and Patrick went on to found the Texas Czech Genealogy
      Society. Both have their hands full doing what presidents do.
      As to rules, there really aren't very many and most of them are
      similar to ones on other mailing lists. Keep the discussion focused on
      Texas Czech topics, no soliciting/advertising (known as spamming), no
      flaming (name calling, which just happened), and simple stuff like that.
      For a better understanding, download the file 'Netiquette Tips/Email tips
      from:

      As to the list owner of record, that's the Czech Heritage Society
      of Texas that supplies this wonderful outlet for us to discuss our
      heritage!

      Sharing. It's what it's all about!
      Rick Garza
      www.texasczechs.homestead.com/

      On Thu, 30 Aug 2001 20:19:20 -0500 "Jan" <toni@...> writes:
      > I am soooo out of the loop. What is this all about? Who determines
      > who the
      > list owner is? Who set up the rules to start with? Etc. etc. ....
      GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
    • Jan
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 30, 2001
        Thanks Rick. All I can do is say, "Thanks," to each one of you wonderful
        people who have (and who do) volunteer their time and talent to this list.
        Jan

        http://joekopecky.homestead.com
> [...]
        > similar to ones on other mailing lists. Keep the discussion focused on
        > Texas Czech topics, no soliciting/advertising (known as spamming), no
        > flaming (name calling, which just happened), and simple stuff like that.
        > For a better understanding, download the file 'Netiquette Tips/Email tips
        > from:

        > As to the list owner of record, that's the Czech Heritage Society
        > of Texas that supplies this wonderful outlet for us to discuss our
        > heritage!
        >
        > Sharing. It's what it's all about!
        > Rick Garza
        > www.texasczechs.homestead.com/
        >
        > On Thu, 30 Aug 2001 20:19:20 -0500 "Jan" <toni@...> writes:
        > > I am soooo out of the loop. What is this all about? Who determines
        > > who the
        > > list owner is? Who set up the rules to start with? Etc. etc. ....

      • Richard Kotrla
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 31, 2001
          Hello, fellow listers:

          Rick's right. It's just another family squabble, and I apologize
          for to the list for even taking my time and yours to respond to Sir
          John's statements concerning my committment. I know that I am,
          like most of you, committed to the list, and shouldn't let
          personalities become an issue.

          I think it should also be noted that Rick G. did a lot to get the
          list to be active.

          Richard K.

        • Susan Rektorik Henley
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 31, 2001
            Richard,

            I wish I could say it in Moravian as my Grandmother did...but the saying goes..."The more Clara sews, the more Clara rips!"

            Probably doesn't make sense to many but those of you who have created things know that the more effort you spend in creating something; sometimes, the more time you have to spend undoing what you worked so hard to do and start again in another direction.

            That's okay too.

            Susan
          • Gilbert Bohuslav
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 1, 2001
              One of the things we need to recognize about Czech's - most of us have a
              very large "ego". To top that off, we often "speak or write before our
              brain is in gear". So with that--enough said.

              Gilbert Bohuslav