Re: [TexasCzechs] Looking for Answers

  • Toney Urban
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 5, 2001
      UnsubscribeMe
      ----------------
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: <mrbkdb112@...>
      To: <TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Sunday, August 05, 2001 11:43 AM
      Subject: Re: [TexasCzechs] Looking for Answers

      > Hi Marek
      >
      > First,thank you for your very clear response to my questions.
      >
      > I have only one more. When you say that the "current" Czech grammar says
      > there should be a "y" after the "r", is there any chance that that might
      not
      > hold true for very early writings? We have an article that translated
      says"
      > ...in 1420,Martin of Eiesoovice sold the whole of Ponetovice village with
      > its serfs and the farm to Vaclav of Sloup,called Herink. In 1446 his son
      > Milota....."
      >
      > However, this same Herink family of Sloup had a Coat of Arms and under
      the
      > picture of that Coat of Arms the name was spelled "Herynk" as it was also
      in
      > the description.
      >
      > Also, there is a village named Herink,which has been also called
      Herynk,but
      > we hear from the Mayor of Herink,translated by Dr. Ales Linhart,
      saying"the
      > farm of the name "Herink" is mentioned in the historical archives since
      > 1422.First notice about the name Herink is written there in Latin.The farm
      > was placed southeast from Prague.The archive records that in 1545 the
      farm
      > Herink was a part of the Radejovice community......"
      >
      > So...it appears that "y" and "i" are sometimes used interchangeably as you
      > stated. Also, it seems that the "y" is probably the original
      > spelling....unless, some of the descendants were fish dealers and changed
      the
      > name.
      >
      > Thanks for your input. It does help a lot to hear from someone who is well
      > versed in Czech.
      >
      > Millie

    • Marek Blahus
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 7, 2001
        Hi Millie,
        in 1400's, when your article comes from, very very few people were able to
        write. And if they could, it still wasn't sure that they wrote without
        mistakes. There are many stories how a scriber's/priest's miswriting can
        rename whole family for hundreds of years in a moment.

      • mrbkdb112@cs.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 7, 2001
          Yes, Marek, I agree. This would explain all the variations in the spellings
          that we have found even when recording the same event and the same people.

          Therefore, I am now of the opinion that the Herinks and the Herynks could be
          the same name.

          Thanks for responding. Millie