RE: [TexasCzechs] Digest Number 620

  • Hanna
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 5, 2001
      Hi Millie,

      sorry I havent responded back yet regarding translating a letter to send to
      Mr Herink in Plsen. I have not had much time. I will do my best in getting
      it done sometime this weekend...but cant promise...Iam moving to Texas next
      weekend and having a big moving sale this weekend. Plus I have a newborn
      baby and two other kids to deal with....Iam sooooooooo worn out!! anyway
      keep in touch
      I will do my best to get that letter to you

      Hanna

      From: CShep10511@...
      2. Looking for Answers
      From: mrbkdb112@...
      3. Re: Looking for Answers
      From: Anthony Wright <anthonywright2002@...>
      4. Re: Looking for Answers
      From: mrbkdb112@...

      Message: 1
      Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2001 09:15:51 EDT
      From: CShep10511@...
      Subject: Re: Celebrating the life of the Dad of the Storyteller

      Beautiful!! Your father would be very proud of his wonderful family.

      Connie

      [This message contained attachments]

      Message: 2
      Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2001 09:36:34 EDT
      From: mrbkdb112@...
      Subject: Looking for Answers

      I am a new member and I have a question for anyone that knows about the
      Czech
      language.

      My maiden name is Herink. In researching the village of Herink and the
      origin
      of the name Herink,plus the in materials I have received from the archives
      of
      Prague and Pilsen, the name is sometimes spelled Herink with an "i" and
      sometimes with a "y". (Herynk).

      Is this meant to be the same name? Is "i" and "y" interchangeable in the
      Czech language? There are several groups of Herynks here in the U.S. plus
      the
      clans I belong to that spell it Herink.

      Can it be that the early data came from the Roman Catholic priests recording
      the "y" using their Latin spellings? Or was the "y" used more in the early
      days?

      I'd really like to hear from anybody who has knowledge of this or even if
      you
      have an opinion about it. Its a puzzle to our family members.

      Hope to hear from you!

      Millie(Herink) Buethe

      Message: 3
      Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2001 07:28:43 -0700 (PDT)
      From: Anthony Wright <anthonywright2002@...>
      Subject: Re: Looking for Answers

      Millie,
      I don't know much about the Czech language but I did
      find out something about my family name. My family
      name that I am researching is Ermis and when they came
      to America, names had been spelled differently. Eight
      Ermis' came to America in the mid to late 1800s and
      some of their names had gotten mispelled. So, anyone
      with the names Ermis, Hermis and Hermes are all
      related somehow. This may have been what happened
      with your family. Hope any information helps! :)
      Take care,
      Angie Wright

      --- mrbkdb112@... wrote:
      > I am a new member and I have a question for anyone
      > that knows about the Czech
      > language.
      >
      > My maiden name is Herink. In researching the village
      > of Herink and the origin
      > of the name Herink,plus the in materials I have
      > received from the archives of
      > Prague and Pilsen, the name is sometimes spelled
      > Herink with an "i" and
      > sometimes with a "y". (Herynk).
      >
      > Is this meant to be the same name? Is "i" and "y"
      > interchangeable in the
      > Czech language? There are several groups of Herynks
      > here in the U.S. plus the
      > clans I belong to that spell it Herink.
      >
      > Can it be that the early data came from the Roman
      > Catholic priests recording
      > the "y" using their Latin spellings? Or was the
      > "y" used more in the early
      > days?
      >
      > I'd really like to hear from anybody who has
      > knowledge of this or even if you
      > have an opinion about it. Its a puzzle to our family
      > members.
      >
      > Hope to hear from you!
      >
      > Millie(Herink) Buethe

      Message: 4
      Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2001 10:33:47 EDT
      From: mrbkdb112@...

      Dear Angie

      Thanks for your response. You are probably right..that the name was just
      misspelled either when they came over here or over a process of many years
      in
      the past. I'm grateful for any ideas that anyone can pass on to me.

      thanks..Millie

      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 5, 2001
        Hanna, You are so sweet to even consider doing it right now. I feel guilty
        even asking it of you. Please wait until you are in Dallas. I know you will
        be rushed looking for a house, but your move and getting settled is a much
        more important use of your time than my letter, not to mention taking care of
        your three children. The letter can wait.

        You didn't say exactly when you would arrive at the Budget Suites. I don't
        want to send the money until you are there as they might not keep it for you.

        I certainly wish you all the best in your move. Remember it is HOT here. I
        hope Budget Suites has a pool for you and the children.ha.

        Thanks....Millie