Re: [TexasCzechs] The Storyteller's Dad has Died

  • epavlik
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 2, 2001
      Susan,

      All of us feel the loss of your dad.  You and your family have our deepest sympathy.

      God bless you and your family.

      Erwin
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 2, 2001
        Susan,

        I am so sorry to hear of your loss.  I don't know if your mother is still living; but if not, there's something quite poignant about realizing you have become an "orphan" and are now the next generation to carry on the family mantle.

        Having also lost both of my parents by now, I am extremely grateful that I began recording their stories many years ago.  Even though some of them are quite short anecdotes, they are in a volume that one day I intend to print for the family.  I have become (by default, I think) our family historian as well as the "keeper" of the family keepsakes and heirlooms.  This is so important for all of us to do!

        All our prayers are with you.
        Leona

        Leona M. Urbish, Ph.D.
        Director, Office of Institutional Research
        Rice University
        P. O. Box 1892
        Houston, TX 77005-1892
        713-348-6258 (office)   713-348-6252 (fax)

        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 2, 2001
          Susan I am sorry to hear about your dad's passing. When it is a parent
          it is so hard to get through. You wrote you miss your dad. It will be
          there a long time. I lost my stepfather 15 years ago and when I hear a
          joke or a story I think I have to remember that to tell Pete and then I
          remember he is gone and the missing starts all over. I think it is a
          tribute to someone that they will be missed like this. It just shows how
          they touched our lives. Hang in there as the grief part will get better
          but don't ever stop missing him..lois

          Susan Rektorik Henley wrote:

          > I miss my Dad. Susan Rektorik Henley

        • Nancy Sugarek
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 2, 2001
            Deat Susan,
            My thoughts are with you. How wonderful that your
            father had a vessel in which to pour and keep his
            wonderful memories and stories... and that his
            daughter had such a wonderful talent for writing.
            Thank you for sharing your stories and your family
            with all of us. In you and your writings he will
            continue to live for all of us.
            May your healing be soon and your memories soon
            cause you to smile at the gift of this man. Thanks
            again for sharing with all of us.
            Nancy Sugarek
            --- Susan Rektorik Henley <srektorik@...>

            http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
          • CShep10511@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 2, 2001
              Dear Susan,

              I am so sorry for your terrible loss. I miss my father so very much, I
              understand your grief and my prayers are with you and your family.

              You are so right about the link to the past now gone. What I would give to
              have just one more day with daddy. I'd make him talk non stop for 24 hours
              about any and everything.

              Connie
            • Mary Holy
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 2, 2001
                Susan
                My thoughts and prayers are with you at this difficult time in your life.  You have so many memories that your father shared with you.  Just keep those memories and he will be forever in your heart.
                Mary (Soukup) Holy

                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 2, 2001
                  Susan -

                  I'm so sorry to hear about your father dying.  My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

                  Jan

                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 5, 2001
                    Dear Susan:

                    I am so sorry that I have not had time in the last several days until
                    now to read the messages on TexasCzechs until today, and I am
                    saddened to hear about the death of your father.

                    I know you and he had such a wonderful relationship and he shared
                    so many stories that you have been so kind to share with us. I
                    feel like we all knew him through the stories you shared.

                    I am sorry you have lost such a fine dad and a fine Texas Czech,
                    but be thankful for all the wonderful memories.

                    I commend you for all the care you gave him in his final days, and
                    yes, he is released from that tired old body.

                    I have empathy as I have lost both of my parents, and you miss them
                    so, each and every day. But the wonderful thing is that although
                    they are gone physically, we have their memories.

                    Please continue to share the stories he shared with you.

                    And Susan, through those stories, like the "Eagle and the Man," he
                    will live on.

                    Richard Kotrla

                    --- In TexasCzechs@y..., "Susan Rektorik Henley" <srektorik@h...>